Paste Wax and Red Oak

RPCV_Woodworker

You can color paste wax as wdwerker mentioned. Use a doubme boiler and just enough heat to melt a tin of your favorite wax to liquid. Then melt in a bit of wax shoe polish of whatever tone you prefer. Pour back into the tin and cool.

The colored wax still builds up in the pores, but doesn't turn white(ish) like the plain wax will.

May require some experimentation to achieve the mix you like best.

Not to cause trouble, but I'm wondering what the need is for wax?  Personally I'd finish with a thin coat of finish and be done with it (shellac, arm-r-seal, poly, etc).  If you're looking for some color, a stain then the fore-mentioned finishes.  All will leave you with the oak texture :)

• Like 1

a light coat of shellac or poly will leave the pores open. it takes quite a few coats to seal and level the pores.

I actually did this with a tabletop a.) as an experiment and b.) because I had some shellac that was starting to get old and I wanted to use it up. It took nineteen coats. And a substantial amount of that ended up getting scraped off when I leveled the surface. Suffice it to say that if you want to fill the pores, best to get a real pore filler! That said, it only takes a few coats to start to round over the edges of the pores, which is not a good look IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk