Roubo Workbench Class at Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking

Michael Schaefer

Don't get me wrong, it would be a blast.  But building the BC Split-Top with the Guild series will save you a boatload of cash.  I don't know how much I'd be willing to spend just so I could say I took a class with the Schwarz. :)  As much as I'd like to say that...

• Like 1

I had been planning to do the guild build of the bench.  For me, even though this will be a much more expensive option, dedicating a week to the project and getting to learn in person from people who can tell me what I'm doing wrong is going to be very valuable.  The time is one of the biggest issues.  I wouldn't commit to taking a week off of work to try and build this in my garage, but to go study for a week? 

I'm planning to use one of the freight companies LTL services (like you would with a large hardwood order) to get it home.

Access to tools and assistance plus the motivation of a time limit make a class worth it in several different ways. How far do you have to travel for the class? Check with other guys taking the class and chip in to rent a truck if they are mostly in the same direction going home.

Its all relative.  For $4800, If I had my choice between 5 days in a shop with Schwartz, and I go home with a Roubo

vs.

5 days in Punta Cana, and I go home with a sunburn.

I'd take the Roubo class.

That's a much better vacation....plus I'd still drink heavily in the evening

EDIT:  Plus working with 24/4 material...that's pretty darn cool.

EDIT EDIT: 

"The event is limited to 16 participants. 
Update 9/2: We've got 16 participants. Anyone who contacts us now will be put on the waitlist in case someone can't make it. 
"

Dammit!

• Like 1

I thought I lost my mind for spending two grand on mine. :unsure:  FIVE grand?  Good Lord.

It's like Vinny said "it's all relative".  A lot of people spend that on vacation and only of some pictures to show for it.  If spending a week in a shop busting your balls is relaxing then it's worth every penny.

With that said and living in CT, there is nothing else to do around that school for sure. But that doesn't matter because by the time he is done for the day all he is going to want is his bed. lol

Definitely worth the price... but yes not with BC hardware...

PIC from the schools website...

http://www.schoolofwoodworking.com/images/stories/school/roubo_bench_Schwarz_web.jpg

Build an 18th-century Roubo Workbench with Chris Schwarz

thumb_roubo_bench_Schwarz_web.jpgA solid workbench is the keystone to every shop. And the 18th-century French design for a workbench has yet to be surpassed by anything since. It is a solid and fully realized three-dimensional clamping surface that is ideal for everything from cutting mouldings by hand to template work with an electric router.

In this class, we will build these benches with the help of the incredible array of heavy-duty machines at the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking (though there is plenty of handwork on these benches, too).

This bench has only the “best in class” joinery – a mortise-and-tenon base and a tenon/sliding dovetail that joins the base to the top. Students will have the option to modify their benches during the evenings to accept the vises of their choice.

Note that this is a physically demanding class that requires heavy lifting and long days in the shop. But the result is worth it: The last workbench you’ll ever need.

Things you will learn in this class:

• The core essentials of workbench design.
• How to process large timbers, from rough stock to firmly joined.
• Drawboring, the core technique in bench construction (and timber framing).
• How to cut and fit huge through-tenons with a jigsaw and a chisel.
• Strategic placement of holes for dogs and holdfasts.
• Flattening a workbench top.
• Finishing a top – from micro-surfaces to film finishes.
• Installing a leg vise and quick-release tail vise.

Tuition: $795.00 (plus materials $775.00)

Section 081015A: Monday – Friday, August 10 – 14, 9:00am – 5:00pm