Calling All Tech Guys

pghmyn

I have had the same custom built PC for about 8 years or so. It has stood up to whatever I threw at it, but the video card/processor/motherboard are just incredibly outdated and it's just put putting along.

I wanted to build a new computer, and I'm trying to budget out a upgrade. Nothing incredibly fancy, and nothing groundbreaking. Just something to be able to play any game that I want without having to use lowest settings like I do now.

I am going to keep my same hard drive and operating system that I have been using, unless that can't be done. I don't see why I couldn't?

Here is what I have picked out so far:

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116895

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127769

Unless I'm missing something, these pieces to all seem to be able to work together. But most importantly, is what I picked out good enough to play mostly whatever I want?

When you install the hard drive it's not going to load the operating system due to the differences in chipsets and drivers that are loading. Honestly, I'd throw 50 bucks towards a new hard drive. You can get about 2 TB for that money. It's been a long time since I built a desktop.

How would I get that operating system on my new desktop? I have no idea where that disc is anymore since I moved out of my parent's house and my dad took over my bedroom as his "guitar room" and cleaned house...

Assuming Windows...if your computer was store bought, the activation key for Windows is probably on a sticker somewhere on the case.   You can use that to reactivate your license if you install it on a new computer (in theory).   As for how to get the disc to install it in the first place, you can download it (legally).   For Windows 7, there are downloads of the ISO and Microsoft provides a tool for creating an install disc.  They have similar tooling for Windows 8 where their tool both downloads and creates the disc.  They don't care (much) about people having the disc because they control it through the activation (needing your key from the sticker).

Assuming Windows...if your computer was store bought, the activation key for Windows is probably on a sticker somewhere on the case. You can use that to reactivate your license if you install it on a new computer (in theory). As for how to get the disc to install it in the first place, you can download it (legally). For Windows 7, there are downloads of the ISO and Microsoft provides a tool for creating an install disc. They have similar tooling for Windows 8 where their tool both downloads and creates the disc. They don't care (much) about people having the disc because they control it through the activation (needing your key from the sticker).

Old computer was not store bought. It was an older custom machine. If I can download the ISO file, that might be my option. I think I have an idea where the key is. If rather not spend $100 on another OS, if I can transfer this one over.

It can also show you the key if the old PC is operational...normally like Control Panel -> System.   There will be a section about Windows activation that shows your activation status and the key...probably called "product key" or "product id" or some such depending on versions.

Hi Sam. Man, I get asked this question constantly since I'm an iT guy... My family was constantly wanting me to build/rebuild computers.

Let me give you an honest opinion here. You are replacing an old system with (as near as I can tell) around $700 in parts... not including a new hard drive, OS and build time/aggravation.

If you don't have experience doing this, there is no need to put yourself through it. My advice: Buy an entry level business-class system from HP, Dell or other major manufacturer.

Don't get the Walmart Specials, just browse to HP or Dell, and look at the lower priced business systems. They are built better and are made to be serviced if needed. For less money than you are looking at for parts now, you can have a brand new system that is already loaded and ready to go.

If you can wait until mid-year, Windows 10 should be getting near release. The preview of Windows 10 looks like 8 should have been to begin with.

And for the love of God, please don't go looking for a free download of Windows OS ISO files. It isn't legal unless you own a volume/ enterprise license (your sticker is NOT a license) and you download from the MS volume license center. Not to mention that you could end up with a virus or malware. :D

• Like 1

My advice: Buy an entry level business-class system from HP, Dell or other major manufacturer.

I'm in IT too and agree totally with Gary.Forget building one and buy a Dell or HP. I've been advising friends and neighbours for years to do the same and they are happy people.

I too am a longtime IT guy and concur with Gary and Terry. Unless.you really enjoy the PC building process the economies of scale that Dell or HP bring make purchasing.pre built the best route. Its analogous to our woodworking hobby in many ways. I'd spend a lot more to build my own dining room table than to buy one . there are reasons beyond cost where you might want to build something yourself. But in this case seems like the PC is purely utilitarian.

The ISOs provided by Microsoft are most certainly legal and if his previous computer was not store-bought, then his previous license is not even an OEM version and he most certainly can legally install it on another computer as long as the old computer is decommissioned. I didn't say go find some pirated version that doesn't need activation. He bought a license and can legally transfer it to another computer.

I see no reason why he shouldn't build it. You guys did read where he said his previous computer is also custom so he knows how to deal with it. Buying a cheap Dell or HP even business class will suck for gaming which is explicitly what he stated he wants to do. Their entry-level business machines are not going to be able to "play any game that I want without having to use lowest settings" like he's said he wants.

Edit: I guess actually he may have bought an OEM license (I do that when I build mine) and in that case it's true that it's technically illegal to transfer that license to a new machine.

Have to agree about gaming on 'business class' machines, it will stink out loud.

Of course, my advice is to go buy an Xbox or PS4 for games, and an off the shelf laptop for web surfing and office apps.

In fact, my laptop mostly just serves as file storage anymore. Most of my daily activity is done from my phone.

The ISOs provided by Microsoft are most certainly legal and if his previous computer was not store-bought, then his previous license is not even an OEM version and he most certainly can legally install it on another computer as long as the old computer is decommissioned. I didn't say go find some pirated version that doesn't need activation. He bought a license and can legally transfer it to another computer.

I see no reason why he shouldn't build it. You guys did read where he said his previous computer is also custom so he knows how to deal with it. Buying a cheap Dell or HP even business class will suck for gaming which is explicitly what he stated he wants to do. Their entry-level business machines are not going to be able to "play any game that I want without having to use lowest settings" like he's said he wants.

Edit: I guess actually he may have bought an OEM license (I do that when I build mine) and in that case it's true that it's technically illegal to transfer that license to a new machine.

Hey man, sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I misread the first line of Sam's post and I thought it said he had a custom PC made for him, not by him. Yes, he can absolutely move that OS license to his new computer, but again you only mentioned decommissioning the old one in your most recent post. You are throwing the word "downloading" around when you need to use the word "transfer" or "copy". They are not the same thing in the computer realm.

Also, I read that he wanted a basic computer, nothing fancy, nothing groundbreaking. I've since learned via PM that Sam will be playing some 3D games; so, yes, he will need a dedicated graphics card. Even so, this does not automatically exclude an entry level business class machine. The ones that I am referring to can have a dedicated card installed, bypassing the onboard graphics.

Just for clarity, business class machines are built to be worked on, expanded, etc. They are not built like the general home user class machines are built where you get painted into a corner.  Computer technology has changed dramatically in the past few years and the wide performance-gulf between custom made and mass produced has been reduced dramatically.

So again, my apologies to you, I did not mean to offend, I simply read too quickly. I've already been in contact with Sam.

If you need the ISO you can get them from Digital River. Which is where Microsoft electronically distributes from. You just enter your product key. Also I'm hoping you're running Windows 7 since XP won't really support a new machine. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

Hey man, sorry. I didn't mean to offend you.

It is I who should apologize. I wrote a snappy snarky response that was uncalled for. I was checking the forum on my phone on the train home in a substantially-less-than-stellar mood.

It's interesting that the standard machines are considered closer to the custom ones these days. I have to admit I'm fairly out of touch as my personal desktop still isn't even set back up despite us moving 7 months ago. =p. I guess I tend to get my fill of computers at work...or maybe I just wish my personal computer was as pimped out as some of our work stuff. ;-)

It is I who should apologize. I wrote a snappy snarky response that was uncalled for. I was checking the forum on my phone on the train home in a substantially-less-than-stellar mood.

It's interesting that the standard machines are considered closer to the custom ones these days. I have to admit I'm fairly out of touch as my personal desktop still isn't even set back up despite us moving 7 months ago. =p. I guess I tend to get my fill of computers at work...or maybe I just wish my personal computer was as pimped out as some of our work stuff. ;-)

No worries! My lack of reading comprehension was staggering, and I completely understand. :)

I'd like to point out that what makes this forum great - among other things - is that when it is (just a little) uncivil, it's still extremely civil.   Nice!

On the point of the new PC...I'd be concerned that drivers for your new hardware wouldn't be available for the older OS.

I will add my apologies as well.  The danger of responding from my phone while working and distracted from fully understanding the question and situation.  I entirely missed the fact that gaming was in the mix for use.

What version of Windows are you running?  If it's XP you might want to consider making the OS transfer to a new machine and then get Window 10 when it's available later this year.  You may have challenges with drivers in some cases but I am not certain.  If it's Win95 then yes upgrade is the only option in my opinion.

With regard to parts suggestions I would make is to go ahead and spring for a 800w (Gold or Platinum) or better PS.  A good PS is often the most overlooked component in a PC.  The videocard is always a big debate when it comes to AMD vs nVidia.  Both have their challenges and I have switched back and forth a half dozen times over the years.  Currently I am on the fence myself as I wait for how well the Freesync standard from AMD gets adopted by monitor vendors.  nVidia has G-sync that is a proprietary standard. Freesync is being touted as a open standard.  Both of these standards have direct impact on gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought that I would give an update that the build is finished!

I'm happy to have a new computer, and I was really overdue for an update. I have my old custom PC that I built freshman year of high school, and my MacBook Pro that I bought freshman year of college. The MBP works well for almost everything, except processor intensive programs like CAD. Best option for me was to build a new custom PC to be up to par with current and future games/software.

Thanks to all for the help along the way. I am very satisfied with the setup.

General breakdown, for anyone interested:

AMD 3.5Ghz 6-core

8GB RAM

1TB HDD

Radeon R9 270x

Corsair 750W PSU

I also decided to splurge on a really nice keyboard for myself. I really like the way mechanical keyboards feel when typing, but they are so expensive so I never bought one. I saw one at Best Buy that I just couldn't leave without buying. I am now using the Logitech G710+ keyboard, and it is by far the best keyboard I have ever used. Not the most high-end gaming keyboard, but it gives the best of both worlds for me. It's a step up gaming keyboard compared to my last, and it it phenomenal to type with. Plus, this thing weighs in just under 4 pounds --- it is a beast!