What Type of Wood Should I Use For This Project?

SawDust132

Hi all,

I am constructing a conductor stand that will be in an orchestra pit to allow the conductor to see both the cast and orchestra. I have a few other threads here as well regarding the same project so feel free to reference them if you need more information. I will attach a picture or two of the final design to show you what it looks like. 

The question lays it out for you. I have finished the design, but have one thing left. I have to decide on what type of wood to use. I'm by no means an expert on wood, I don't know the terminology/grading system too well so please keep that in mind. Aside from holding itself up, the stand will need to hold the conductor, only ever one person at a time, sometimes a full size digital piano, and other misc. music gear (music stand, headset/mic, laptop, computer).

Any help is appreciated, 

Thanks!

bcHnOV5.pnggzpaFaF.pngN07eUpq.pngDzd52BP.png

Raefco, has it right... however, there is another consideration in using construction materials, It's hard to make it look good.   You can go through the process of milling construction grade material, to improve the appearance, but it still will require some sort of finish.   What do you want it to look like it?  What's the budget?  What is the time requirement?  What skills do you bring to the project? What machinery is at your disposal?   There is more than design involved, there's your parcipatation , and what exactly do you want it to look like.  Elegant? Average? or like a yard deck?  Is it going to be around for 10, 20, 30, years?      There is an large amount to consider and you need to make those decisions before you pick up the first hammer or nail!

Raefco, has it right... however, there is another consideration in using construction materials, It's hard to make it look good.   You can go through the process of milling construction grade material, to improve the appearance, but it still will require some sort of finish.   What do you want it to look like it?  What's the budget?  What is the time requirement?  What skills do you bring to the project? What machinery is at your disposal?   There is more than design involved, there's your parcipatation , and what exactly do you want it to look like.  Elegant? Average? or like a yard deck?  Is it going to be around for 10, 20, 30, years?      There is an large amount to consider and you need to make those decisions before you pick up the first hammer or nail!

To answer your questions...:

It's going to be in an orchestra  pit that's 10 feet deep so appearance really isn't an issue, it will only be seen by the musicians. Budget, I don't have one. I figure out how much it costs, and then have to raise the appropriate funds. That being said, I would like to keep the price relatively wallet-friendly, but not sacrificing structural stability/ safety (meaning no Peruvian imported gold encrusted walnut). Time requirement, ideally I want it done by the end of March. I know how to use a compound miter box, handheld electric saw, ruler, tape measure, etc; your basic tools. I will be working (building and finishing design) with someone whose been in carpentry for 30 some years, so I have his skills at the disposal as well. I have access to two compound miter boxes, three electric saws, 5 drills, and various odds and ends. 

Thanks for your help!

To answer your questions...:

It's going to be in an orchestra  pit that's 10 feet deep so appearance really isn't an issue, it will only be seen by the musicians. Budget, I don't have one. I figure out how much it costs, and then have to raise the appropriate funds. That being said, I would like to keep the price relatively wallet-friendly, but not sacrificing structural stability/ safety (meaning no Peruvian imported gold encrusted walnut). Time requirement, ideally I want it done by the end of March. I know how to use a compound miter box, handheld electric saw, ruler, tape measure, etc; your basic tools. I will be working (building and finishing design) with someone whose been in carpentry for 30 some years, so I have his skills at the disposal as well. I have access to two compound miter boxes, three electric saws, 5 drills, and various odds and ends. 

Thanks for your help!

And to think, I had Peruvian gold encrusted walnut, with diamond encrusted ebony as an overlay, for light refraction, in mind when I responded!

Okay, then construction material is a sound and inexpensive way to go, I would recommend, screws as fasteners, they are easier to replace than having to pull nails down the road, if need be, and a finish  would be paint, a  darker color, so it doesn't shout!  And never discount musicians for their ability to see and criticize! You do not want the stand to be a distraction to the musicians, you need to make it blend in with the surroundings !

It seems as though you have competent help, and the right plan, Good luck with the project!