got lucky once again (samples)

phinds

Late last year when I was pretty sure I wouldn't be getting any more batches of samples for the site, my friend David Clark in Australia decided to do a book on rosewoods and had about 3 dozen rosewood samples sent to me and while he was ordering them, he also picked up a couple dozen more samples of other woods.

Then my friend Mark Peet down in PA got in a big new batch for his collection and let me pick the ones that I wanted to process for the site.

So ... three nice batches with about 100 samples total. I'm particularly happy to get the rosewoods 'cause the samples are expensive and I buy VERY few of those on my own. These have all been processed now and most of them are already up on the site.

I didn't spend any time on these pics, so they're a bit washed out.

Mark usually has mostly domestics but this time he got a lot of exotics

This is David's batch of non-rosewoods

This is what I REALLY love ... ALL rosewoods

That looks like a nice haul!

So lots of photo work for you huh?

Yeah, it's quite a bit of work to do what I do. I end up with 5 views of every sample, all of which have to be color corrected and then turned into 3 levels of size, so just one sample generates 15 images that have to then be put into an HTML page with comments.

I'm also a computer programmer (not for a living for 20 years or so but I still know how to do it) and I've written some utilities that relieve me of most of the work of creating the HTML and putting it into the right wood page.

I've long given up counting but some years back I estimated that my site had taken at least 5,000 hours and the glossary another 1,000+

Only way I've managed to do so much is that I've had the misfortune to be unemployed for some long stretches.

Signatures don't show on the mobile site.  

Sigh. I'm an old guy and don't have a smartphone and I just KEEP forgetting that most people connect that way these days. Unfortunately, we're still in a transition period where many web sites are not set up to fully treat mobile devices the same way as full computers.

I had never seen your site before I happened to see this thread on my desktop and then was blown away and quickly bookmarked.  A truly amazing resource for sure.

HA! Now, see ... there's ANOTHER thing that I have trouble keeping in mind. There are still woodworkers who have not seen my site :P

Glad you like it. Thanks for the feedback.