How to use a jointer

WoodworkerJay

Hi all,

I have been woodworking as a hobby for quite awhile now, building some furniture and a canoe.  I have read that a very helpful tool is to use is a jointer.  So I found one a year or two ago and have used it when I needed to join boards. However I find that I can't get the boards straight enough without flipping them around end to end and trying to plane it in certain areas to get them to fit the other board.  Does anyone have some tips to get a nice straight edge?

Thanks

Jamie

If you're not getting a straight edge right off the jointer, then either the machine needs calibrating or there's something wrong with your technique.  For edge jointing I would assume the former, since there's not a lot you can do wrong.  Getting a flat face requires a little more thought...but you should be able to achieve a straight edge pretty easily...with a tuned machine.  Did you watch Marc's videos on jointer set-up and use?  That's where I'd start...

BTW, a jointer is not a "helpful" tool, it's a critical tool.  Without it you won't have flat and square stock, the cornerstone of fine work.  They can be finicky and annoying tools, but the time you invest in getting it set up right and learning how to correctly use it pays off in spades.

• Like 1