Huh. How to hide this?

matthew-s

I've posted about this very slow project a few times.

Finally glued up my frame and panel top for my game table. I was being stupid while trimming the excess of my 1/2 lap miter, and clipped the leg. :(

What to do here? I am planning on staining the wood eventually.

post-8142-142154499819_thumb.jpg

Wood filler (blah)? Make a Micro-Dutchman? Something else?

Fwiw I'll be plugging the nasty area from the panel grove, and planing a shallow rabbet along the bottom edge of the top to make a shadow line.

I'm a bit cranked, as I wanted this to look fairly "sharp" and modern.

Any advice appreciated.

I'll probably make a separate post about the 1/2 lap cleanup options. I feel they were a necessary evil based on the design, and my skill level.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I decided to set this part of the project aside for as long as I can. Maybe I'll be less crabby and less likely to make it worse.

I've since plugged the other holes you see (there were 4) from my panel groves. That went as well as I could hope. I'm leaning towards leaving the 1/2 lap end grain there. I think it would be hard to cover up. I just hope I have not introduced any seasonal expansion issues with the 1/2 lap glue up. Time will tell but 1/2 lap miters do seem to be a pretty common practice.

When I go to fix the original issue, I'll proably try to chisel it out cleanly and glue on a veneer from me leg off cut.

Wish me luck. I'm closing in on the finishing step which is another new chapter for me. I'm armed with a Flexner book, so hopefully it goes ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggest trick to finishing is test boards on the scrap from the project. Practice is key !

I always make a couple of sample boards along with finishing any project, stain the project then stain the sample boards. Only test for dryness on the sample, when its dry you can move to the next step. Then if you make a mistake along the way you can practice the repair on the sample boards.

• Like 1