Picture frame opinions

wtnhighlander

Greetings all!

My father, an accomplished artist, was kind enough to present my wife and me with a beautiful Christmas gift. It is a pencil drawing that features our son.

Anyway, my wife has asked me to make a frame for it. I am asking you guys and gals for opinions on the design and materials choice.

Our idea is to do the frame AND the 'mat' from wood. I have some lovely walnut fir the frame, but still haven't decided on a profile.

To make the 'mat', I plan to resaw some poplar and plane it to about 1/8". The poplar will be bleached and/or stained to achieve a moderately light gray 'driftwood' color, without emphasizing the grain. I would also like to use a sub-mat, which will show about 3/8" inside the top mat. I plan to make the sub-mat a very dark gray or black.

This piece will require a glass.

My questions for you are these:

1) What is the consensus on color coordination between the gray / black and the natural walnut?

2) Any concerns about keeping the 'mat' pieces flat? The top mat will be about 3" wide x 1/8" thick.

3) Suggestions for profiles I can cut with a tablesaw and medium-sized router? I want the frame to look good, but not distract the eye from the drawing.

4) Finishes; at this point I'm considering a spray can lacquer, non-glossy. I'm open to alternatives that don't require spray equipment.

Thanks,

Ross

My concensus is the same as yours...if I can build it, why buy it! However, I think matting should be done by someone that qualifies, especially for an important piece. I understand that there are certain products (acid free, etc,) that are made to come in contact with important documents and that there are others that will do harm.

Something of this importantance, I would seek professional advise.

Any decent frame shop can mount and mat the drawing for you using the right methods and materials. Your Wood mat can go on top of theirs with only a small reveal if you want. I used to work in a frame shop part time, but that was back in the mid 70"s

Mat cutting takes real skill.

I've done some framing and mats.

For longevity you need "archival" quality mat board that is neutral pH.

Wood placed right up against the drawing will cause discoloration rather quickly, especially if you use bleach.

I like the color scheme you have in mind.

Another consideration is the proportions. With the glass, the 2 wood mats, a backer on which to "hinge" the drawing, and the board to hold it all in place, your "sandwich" is going to be rather thick and your frame may look "chunky" depending on the overall dimensions. I would often cut some cardboard and poplar to the approximate size to get a feel for the look that will result. No need for joinery, just lay the parts over the drawing to get a rough idea.

Profiles on frames intended for works on paper in black and white are quite often rather plain so as to accentuate and not distract the eye from the drawing, photo, or what have you.

D

Well, good news for me! I spoke with Dad today, and found out that the drawing was done on artist's mylar. It is a polyester film, totally inorganic, and won't stain like paper.

I started experimenting with the 'mat' today. My wife chose a style that emulates a two layer mat, so I resawed some poplar to 1/4" thick, ripped it 3" wide, and cut a 1/8" x 3/8" rabbet along one edge. The rabbet is dyed black, and the rest is stained with "weathered gray".

Thank goodness, she didn't like the chamfer I put on to emulate a bevel cut mat. That chamfer was a pain to get right!

No photos yet, but I'll do a project journal and post a few soon.