Delivering large tools

duckkisser

I'm planing on buying a cabinet table saw ( yaye for me )the only problem is I live at the end of a dead end street. My garage/shop is accessible from the alley it's a narrow alley and has a 90 degree turn so I have strong doubts about a semi delivering to my garage door. Somehow I need to get the table saw moved a block to my home. Does anyone with experience moving large equipment into their shop have any suggestions for how to get it to my garage?

I know a flat bed truck can make it since some guy delivered roof tiles right to my garage door and the garbage truck gets around it every week. Will I need to rent a pallet jack or will that be the wrong way to move it down a street.

I'd set it down on a strong furniture dolly ( platform with 4 caster wheels) with rubber wheels

this is probably your best bet, in my experience pallet jacks are unstable and want to tip if you hit a small pebble, probably not good when you have a very expensive and heavy saw on it. They may a straight truck for the delivery, just depends on the company I guess. The driver might be willing to back into the alley (as long as there's no low wires or other issues) to get it closer to your door, but I'd offer to guide him in. I drive a truck myself and while the visibility is good out of the mirrors, it's hard to see both sides at once, it's tough in tight situations.

I'm planing on buying a cabinet table saw ( yaye for me )the only problem is I live at the end of a dead end street. My garage/shop is accessible from the alley it's a narrow alley and has a 90 degree turn so I have strong doubts about a semi delivering to my garage door. Somehow I need to get the table saw moved a block to my home. Does anyone with experience moving large equipment into their shop have any suggestions for how to get it to my garage?

I know a flat bed truck can make it since some guy delivered roof tiles right to my garage door and the garbage truck gets around it every week. Will I need to rent a pallet jack or will that be the wrong way to move it down a street.

Duck..... If you buy from Grizzly, call them when you make your purchase, explain the situation, they can then make arrangements with the freight company, to deliver it to your door with a smaller truck.  Or you can find out the carrier, talk with them and they'll try to make it deliverable.... I spent 32+ years trucking and frequently had to off load a product to a smaller truck... They will work with you!

I had some similar concerns about getting my cabinet saw into the garage - we have a steep-ish driveway with a pretty nasty curb at the street.  Definitely give the freight company a call, and check in. In my case, Road Runner LTL transferred the shipment to a local delivery agent who completed the delivery...

In my case, they delivered the saw on a pallet, which the driver was able to move right up the driveway on the pallet jack - no issue at all.  He had me help brace the saw on the jack when he navigated the curb, but other than that, no issues.  I probably tipped the driver too much ($40), but he was awesome, and totally relieved my stress at getting a couple thousand pounds (more than just a table saw) of new gear into the garage.  Most of those guys doing the deliveries are willing to help you out, so long as the request is reasonable.

We moved our setup into the next old house last week. Always before, the situation has allowed us to get the front end loader on the yard to get the big tools to the door. This time there was a fairly long flagstone walkway, with no choice of getting the

loader anywhere near the house. I bought one of these, and it's a game changer. We did have to disassemble the cabinet saw down to the base with just the top on it, but this made it pretty easy going with a couple of ramps to get things off the trailer, and into the house. I do have two really strong helpers, but after using this hand truck, they say they don't want to use the normal sized ones for anything. The 15 inch wheels make it easy rolling, even going up steps, or bumpy ground.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hand-truck-1000-lb-capacity

Sorry Duck...I can't improve on the advice you already have.  Thought I'd tell you something that could be helpful...I am friends with the owner of the cable co 2 blocks down.  I said "Hey Ron, they're delivering a heavy cabinet saw to my home but will only drop it on the sidewalk.  Mind if i use your forklift a few minutes?" He said no problem....here I came tooling down the road to meet the truck.  Got it unloaded and pretty much set it in place in the shop.  Anyone close to you have a forklift?

Yeah, I am too....but one block over is a main highway and the cable company is there.  Do a mental scan  and see if there's a business in the community close by you who has a forklift.  if the owner doesn't want to let you borrow or rent it for 15 minutes, he may let one of his employees come move it for you....maybe for a small fee.

If all of that is a no go....use a few pipes and roll the sucker in place.

3rd option that I've seen done is make a skid/sled....take a piece of 3/4 plywood and put a couple of 4x4s under it.  Cut an arc on the front of the 4x4s so they curve upward like skis.  Attach a rope to the front of it and s-l-o-w-l-y pull it with a truck to where you need it to go.  It's an option with a little more work but it's been done and it works great.

got a refrigerator dolly  and a couple friends the alley is paved so its just a matter of geting it down the road without tipping.  i think ill order the saw next week and see if they will deliver on a flat bed or if they can arrange to have a pallet jack for me to use since that will be the easiest. .