How to take care of a table saw left outside?

zph0eniz

I am planning to get a contractor saw and it will be difficult to move inside and out.

I don't have garage but I do have a little backyard space.

Should I cover it a blanket or some plastic to prevent water or the sun hitting it?

Put some monthly coat of wax or something?

What can I do to keep it in good shape outside the best I can?

contractors around here leave their jobsite saws outside and in the back of pick-up trucks all the time

Although they have aluminum tables and plastic cowling, I can't imagine the saws last very long

I imagine it will depend on the climate in your area. In the Arid West you can get away with it for a while

I would be careful with any kind of cover.

It may just trap moisture underneath rather than let the dew evaporate

Tarps are not good at keeping the weather out. Rain rebounds surprisingly far. You can also end up with condensation under the tarp making direct contact with your machined surfaces.

I buy a lot of old tools and restore them and many have gotten the tarp treatment. Those tools are always in the roughest shape with the need to replace all the bearings and usually the wiring as well.

I second the idea of getting a circular saw and straight edge. The other option if you just want into woodworking and not furniture building specifically is to get a midi lathe. Its small enough you can pick it up and carry it outdoors then put it inside when done.

• 2 years later...

I have a table saw and I leave it outside most of the time. I bought a heavy duty gas grill cover that is waterproof and somehow breathable .

it cost me $65.00 for the grill cover.

I placed the tablesaw over an outdoor carpet to prevent moisture coming off the ground and covered it with the grill cover .

I've been doing this for three years and no problems. 

I  put it out at the end of the winter and I put it inside my cramped workshop before the first snowfall .

My tablesaw is a very inexpensive saw that I paid a couple hundred bucks for.