How much wood should I get for Roubo?

estesbubba

Built mine last year. Thoroughly enjoyed the project and am using my bench almost daily. Rather than waste an inch on the board width, I just made my top 5" thick. I figured there was nothing to lose with the extra weight and my great-great-grandchildren will still have enough thickness to flatten it down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom C was also considering it...

Tom is staring at the hardware in his cart on benchcrafted.com. I am trying to convince myself that I shouldn't even order it until my shop is rearranged and more orderly. I need to know what kind of size and layout space I'll have available. $900 is a lot of money considering all the other stuff I bought in the last 3 weeks. I think I'm gonna hold off until around April/May before I start getting ready for the build.

I ordered mine a couple days ago and I'm looking at 3-4 weeks before it ships. Might help to order it now even if you aren't going to get started on it for a while. Although they're having problems with catching up production and sourcing the handles, so maybe waiting until they get that sorted would be better. 

Good to see I am not the only one who hasn't built this bench.  I ordered my hardware just over two weeks ago.  I will probably go get the lumber next week here in Houston.  I am going with soft maple and maybe Walnut for the chop and dead man as I think that looks awesome on some benches I have seen posted here.

I ordered the M style and am not crazy about the idea of getting the beech handles with it but we shall see....