Almost Finished - Final Questions

SeventyFix

1. Dogs

I assume that no finish goes on the dogs or in the dog holes, correct?

2. Suede

(a) I used contact cement to glue the suede to the dogs and it was a total failure.  The glue did not hold at all.  I peeled it off, roughed up the dog face with sand paper and used CA glue (cyanoacrylate/super glue).  Instant bond and worked perfectly.  The suede is permanently attached to the dogs.

As Marc suggests, I am going to use spray adhesive on the leg vise chop and bench front (though I haven't done so yet).

( B) Have any of you put suede on the leading edge of the guide block and the opposite face, where the guide block closes as you turn the wagon vise?  Sorry for the explanation.  In the finial video (how to use the bench), Marc shows a board being secured in that space in the opening of the bench top (see attached picture)post-16436-0-01191100-1421702529_thumb.j.  I was wondering if any of you put suede there and if so, what adhesive did you use?

3. Finish

I'm planning on using Watco Danish Oil.  Comments?

Thank you in advance

I didn't finish my dogs.  No reason not to, but why bother?  Any finish will do for the bench...don't over-think it.  Watco is a fine choice.  I never added the suede to my chop...and I still haven't.  It holds just fine without it and I've never had it damage a workpiece.

I used 3M's 77 spray adhesive to put suede into my leg vise.  Worked great, and I suspect if it ever needs repair it will be easier to work with than CA glue. I also used a coat of Danish Oil, just because it was handy.  I have no complaints.  Just avoid something slicker that builds up a layer of finish and you'll be fine.

Congrats on your new bench!