enclosing ts base for dust collection

Brendon_t

I'm considering enclosing my delta contractor saw base to utilize a 4" connection plate I'm sick of having to vacuum up the base after use. While thinking through it, I would assume there would have to be holes or slats in at least one side to get adequate air flow.

Anybody done this and have advice on the topic?

One of my shop improvement projects this spring will be replacing the stand on my Delta contractor with a closed base for dust collection. I will close up the back as best I can with hardboard and magnets but I'm not going to worry too much about it. One fellow did some experiments and found that closing up the base too tightly reduced the efficiency of his dust collection and eventually he left the back mostly open.

Porter cable website actually has the plans for my exact delta saw.. Dang I love the inter web

Here's the link.

http://www.portercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/20021213150150_article34.pdf

If I can get 75-80% efficiency of collection, that is about 75 to 80% more than I have now.

My saw is newer but that might fit anyway. I'll make a template out of cardboard and try it out.

I added dust collection to an older delta hybrid I had, but the motor was contained in the cabinet so it was easier to seal it up.  Definitely good advice about allowing 'enough' airflow.  I got to a point with mine where I said "enough" because nothing was escaping the cabinet, which is what I wanted.  You should also look into some sort of dust collecting blade guard for the top.

I added dust collection to an older delta hybrid I had, but the motor was contained in the cabinet so it was easier to seal it up. Definitely good advice about allowing 'enough' airflow. I got to a point with mine where I said "enough" because nothing was escaping the cabinet, which is what I wanted. You should also look into some sort of dust collecting blade guard for the top.

John would you mind to elaborate? Are youtalking aboutthe clear "hood" for lack of a better term that rides over the blade?

exactly.  A lot of dust - especially the fine dust - gets spit out above the table.  Might be worth looking into it.

The FWW article I found was for members only....but the picture on the page shows how they approached the motor area

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/article/dust-proof-your-contractors-saw.aspx