Help with scroll saw

chubologist

I do a lot of scroll work, and if you are looking for good quality but at a fair price, look at shop fox.

A few things to consider with scroll saws that I think are musts. 1. Ability to take a pinless blade. 2. Built in task lighting. 3. A good air hose that cleans the work. 4 a cast iron top for stability 5. Dust collection port.

You can get into the Excalibur units for about $899 but shop fox can give you most of the same features ( at a little lower quality) for closer to $200.

Just stay far away from things like HF scroll saws or even dremel scroll saws. A good scroll saw is all about stable tight cuts. So you need that. Also, a good metal stand helps weight it down a bunch, and if you are going to be doing a lot of it, having a dedicated stand is very helpful.

No offence, but I was just looking into buying a scroll saw and went to HD. and Lowes, and they didn't have any in stock so I just about forgot about it cause I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on one so My wife to my surprise bought one from HF for me. I built a home made stand for it out of wood. and it works pretty well for  69.00 which was on sale at the time. I normally work in big projects such as furniture, cabinets and things of this nature. but I was wanting one to just learn on. One thing about it they are very fun.