How to make the surface of a board perfectly smooth

collinb

That is a never ending debate looking for a place to happen, sanding abrasive options are endless, while many here will fret over the amount of sanding, the dust it produces, sand paper, its cost, what steel the blade on the plane is forged from and on and on and on. Once your wood is reasonably flat, compared to many other trades and skills, wood takes a fairly small effort to get smooth enough to surpass most finishes and the effort many are willing to put into it.

It takes for more skill and patience to achieve a finish ready surface with a plane than it does with a sanding machine, be it a series of hand sanders or a stationary drum sander, and before all of that you must be able and willing to give that plane a lot of attention to keep it working properly.

When I take my drum sander down to 220 grit and follow with 240 and 320 grit on my ETS 150/3 it is incredibly smooth and very flat with absolutely no nicks or tearout. However a skillfully hand planed surface has a gleam and texture that beats sanded hands down, you just can't make a living doing it that way.

• Like 1

When I take my drum sander down to 220 grit and follow with 240 and 320 grit on my ETS 150/3 it is incredibly smooth and very flat with absolutely no nicks or tearout. However a skillfully hand planed surface has a gleam and texture that beats sanded hands down, you just can't make a living doing it that way.

That phrasing makes me think of b&w chemical darkroom.  Sure, I can scan a neg and do a digital print. But nothing can equal a platinum/paladium print.

Still, a regular print can look very, very nice.

So I guess it's just a matter of importance -- and time.

Bingo ! I have some clients that pick at the slightest flaw, but they can't percive the quality of a planed surface. These are the same people that want walnut and mahogany stained so dark you can't see the grain anymore !

These are the people in photography who are either digital pixel peepers or who take a loupe to a photograph instead of standing back and appreciating the beauty.

For instance, this print of mine has a serious and very visible flaw but few can find it. http://brendemuehl.net/images/model.jpg

I just appreciate it even with its weakness.  (4x5, APX100)