Figured Maple, and Utile Keepsake Box

Chuck Melton

I built this box for my Grandmother's 75th birthday. We are having a surprise party for her on Saturday. Between work, prepping to have 40 people at the house, and getting this box finished I've been a bit busier than I'd like.

022f30ff3af3c30bbbf5fe2261ceefd7.jpg

8182beb0c0de3d01ae19740f22f7ff01.jpg

I used the Domino to join the box together. The grain on the maple was popped using the technique from Marc's "Pop Goes The Maple" video (shellac and Transtint).

I finished it with 5 coats of Arm R Seal Semi Gloss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea and well executed (except for the one magnet and we won't tell)

It's not much of a secret. In the right orientation the lid snaps in place. In the other 3 orientations, it will move to the point where the force from the magnetic fields cancel out. Live and learn. I also didn't have time to start until 8 days before the party... If I had more time I'd remake the lid.

I am probably the only person that is going to be bothered by it.

It's not much of a secret. In the right orientation the lid snaps in place. In the other 3 orientations, it will move to the point where the force from the magnetic fields cancel out. Live and learn. I also didn't have time to start until 8 days before the party... If I had more time I'd remake the lid.

I am probably the only person that is going to be bothered by it.

My wife tells me all the time "if you don't point it out nobody will notice" but as you said, you are bothered by it.  But that does really look great.  A gift from the Heart!