Finishing

JBM

I am working on an entertainment center that will be supporting my 60 inch plasma TV. I have already stained it to the desired color using a water based dye, and then a 1lb cut shellac as Marc showed to prevent blotches, followed by a Java gel stain for the appropriate color. My Goal was to apply about 5 coats of a wiping Varnish allowing 24 hours between coats and the last coat to dry 72 hours before setting a 100+lb TV on it. We'll I'm behind on my schedule and will only be able to apply 3 coats with the last coat allowed to dry 36 hours. Do you think that would be enough time for the last coat to harden before applying such a heavy item on it? Any other suggestions that could give me a strong finish quickly?

Thanks Ace, I am having a outpatient procedure that prevents lifting more than 20 pounds for 2 weeks. Also was hoping to have it done for Super bowl. I've put too much work into this to mess it up now. I'll just wait. Thought maybe there was another solution. One of my greatest downfalls in woodwoorking is that I always want to hurry a project along when I get near the end. Not that I haven't been burning the midnight oil trying to get this done. It's just a juggle when you try to balance work, family and woodworking.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys thanks for the well wishes, all went good. I finally got the entertainment center done, except for the doors and some shelves. It was in the shop for 1 week and now it will be in here for another week to let the wipe on varnish harden. Hopefully this picture will post. It's not a great picture as the room doesn't have a lot of light on that side of the room. But I'm pleased and can't wait to get the TV off the floor. This is just the center section. Once I get the doors on I'll start construction on the two bookcases that will be on each end and then an overhead bridge that connects to the bookcases framing the TV.

fb8f8a2a8ec8352c8ad2acb71991ba58.jpg

• Like 1