Burgundy color wood for cutting board

Tom Cancelleri

My co-worker is the biggest Washington Redskins fan (what is he thinking) and he also happens to be a really good cook. I was thinking of making him a Redskins themed cutting board with a burgundy (or as close to it) colored wood, a with a gold colored wood inlay that says Redskins or perhaps just their R really big on the board. These are the colors they use, I know there's the whole Officially Licensed by NFL thing, however it's not being sold, and is a fan piece that I'm making as a gift.

My question is what woods would really fit the color scheme and still be food safe? I was thinking for the yellow, maybe going with Canary Wood for the gold color. 

8rqncxgb9vb3d0gid7j2nhfke.gif

Mahogany or cherry for the red, satinwood (yellowheart) for the yellow.  The mahogany will be closer in color, but isn't as good as cherry for a cutting board...softer and open-pored.

Canary wood has a more striated gold-yellow-orange-brown look...and it darkens (and dulls) over time.

Yes, the office gets some sunlight.  I have a padauk and birdseye maple magazine rack that's been in our bathroom for about three years where there are no windows, and the padauk is still beautiful...even richer reddish orange than it was when I built it...BUT...no windows.  How often can you be sure a piece you build will stay out of natural daylight?  Rarely.  It's a shame...I love padauk.  But the reality is that unless you can keep it out of the sun, it's gonna fade to a pretty ugly gray/brown, and there's nothing you can do about it.