looking for feedback

Enclosed spaces

Have lurked in the background for a while now. Looking at what others are working on. Feel it is time for me to share a bit. Hopefully others will get some ideas from what I'm doing.

The boxes I'm choosing to show are made from a local Oak ( Gary Oak ), maple ply and flame coloured copper. The Oak is lumber cut from my brother in laws yard. Air dried for about 8 yrs undercover. 1/4 sawn ( craftsman style ), 1/2 inch thick after jointing, planing and milling. The copper is 18 g, folded, textured and flame coloured. The copper on the plain lift lid is backed with 3/16 maple ply and free floating in a 1/4 " dado. Lined on the bottom with micro fibre material. Several coats of rub on poly and wax used for the finish.

post-16187-0-58551000-1421964593_thumb.j

post-16187-0-02952000-1421964619_thumb.j

post-16187-0-11225200-1421964652_thumb.j

post-16187-0-24702100-1421964675_thumb.j

I am not sure what kind of feedback you might like but the boxes look nice. I think the smallest box looks a little chunky with such thick walls but that all depends on how you expect to use the box. Welcome to the forum.

just the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Haven't worked with thinner material as of yet. Not very confident in my ability to joint , glue and slip feather such thin woods.

Maybe I'm just not seeing them well on my phone but the miters look like they have some gaps. It caught my eye after I got done being WOWed by the copper. Beautiful boxes. I too agree walls are maybe a bit too thick. I also think they're maybe a bit boxy--meaning their sharp edges and straight lines almost contrast too much with the awesome copper. More of a round over or something might let the wood pieces not catch so much attention. That's just me though and I'm no expert.

I did indeed ask for feed back. I need to improve and the best wa y for me is to see what othe r people honestly think. Always trying new methods of work or appearance. I definetly know my mitre joints and my finishing both need improvement. Other design issue's like rounded edges could use some improvement as well. Over all I feel like I'm doing okay for a total hobbiest.

Before I say anything else I want to say these boxes look very nice.  I really like the accents and you've done some cool things with finish and wood choice.

Miters are really tough because to work perfectly the angles have to compliment perfectly.  For a 90 corner the two miters need to exactly add to 90 or you get odd results.  Most of the time it's tricky to get two perfect 45s so there are a number of tricks woodworkers turn to.  

One trick is to use a miter sled and to make sure the mating pieces are cut from the opposite sides of the sled.  

For me, I got a Wixley digital angle gauge.  When used correctly it is possible to perfectly set 45s on your blade.  The only complaint I have about my Wixley is that is sucks batteries.  I've helped the problem by taking the battery out when I'm not using it.  I've heard newer models are better in this regard.