Has anyone used a Leigh RTJ400 Router Table Dovetail Jig?

W1ngnu7_1628

ok, so now I'm confused. In the past, the few dovetails I've done, have been using a jig but always wanted to learn to handcut. Then Marc, you did the Krenov Stand and with your instructions, I made some respectable cuts and am hooked. So sometimes you make hand cut and other times, you still use a jig. Is the decision made as to which direction you go, due to the volume you have to cut?

Well to be clear, the jig was sent to me for review. I get my hands on lots of tools that don't necessarily make it into my workflow and this is one of them. It's a good and capable jig but I already have the Leigh D4R which is pretty much the Cadillac of dovetail jigs in my opinion. So if I'm going to go jig-cut, I'll be using the classic Leigh. 

As for my dovetail habits, I tend to use whatever I feel like or what makes sense at the time. Many times I make my decision based on what I want to teach people. I don't necessarily want to teach only MY way of woodworking and show the same thing over and over. My goal is to show people as many good options as possible and let them decide for themselves what they like best. So if you watch ALL of my content you could very well end up thinking that I simply can't make up my mind. :) I suppose someday I'll be old and cranky and set in my ways but I'm not there yet. I always like to try new things. 

Now the method shown in the Krenov series is actually one of my personal favorite methods for cutting dovetails. If there were no cameras around and TWW didn't exist, that's how I'd do them when I'm looking for that hand cut look. But if I had a project that involved a bunch of drawers and they called for dovetails, you can bet I'm whipping out my Leigh Jig. 

• Like 1