Problems with wood paneling

Even

I have a cherrywood wall in my hearthroom that includes a cabinet and a wood burning fireplace.  I lemon oiled the paneling a couple times in the 10 years since building and noticed it seemed dry before Christmas so oiled it at that time.  When we took the decorations down last week, several areas seemed dry again so oiled it again.   Now I see small little cracks in the flat panels (not on the trim pieces).  They are all over the wood.  I did use a different oil (Old English lemon oil) this time as I had finished the bottle our painter gave me.  I let the oil sit overnight, then wiped it off.  What caused this and is the wood damaged?  Is there any fix?

post-16906-0-07308700-1422036550_thumb.j

post-16906-0-61809600-1422036560_thumb.j

post-16906-0-77629800-1422036572_thumb.j

The wood is extremely dried out. Pretty sure the cherry has a topcoat of sorts applied. As the wood dried out from heat and sun, the finish has fractured and cracked. When you applied the mineral oil (lemon oil) it was pulled deep into the dry wood and has been wicked up and under the finish and is trying to escape through the fractured finish as the wood swells from the oil.

The fix would be to refinish or wood replacement. Hard to tell from the pictures as posted, as to how bad the wood is dry and cracked. Im sure the cracks in the finish will be less noticeable as the lemon oil dissipates from the wood over time. 

-Ace-

Couple of questions.

1. Do you have a lot of fires in the fireplace?

2. I notice a lot of sunlight  to the left of the fire place. Does the sun work it's way over to the fireplace panel?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

-Ace-

Yes, we do have lots of fires starting as soon as the weather gets cold and snowy and ending early March.  By lots, I would say 4-5 nights a week.  And the windows face west.  The wood had a finish applied twice.  Once by the builder and then again about a year later when our painter reapplied to even out the finish (it was blotchy)

When you have a fire, stick a pot of water on.

I get how that would have prevented this problem but would it be helpful now?  Also, this is in our hearth room so it is connected with our kitchen which should have more humidity than other areas of our house.

The wood is extremely dried out. Pretty sure the cherry has a topcoat of sorts applied. As the wood dried out from heat and sun, the finish has fractured and cracked. When you applied the mineral oil (lemon oil) it was pulled deep into the dry wood and has been wicked up and under the finish and is trying to escape through the fractured finish as the wood swells from the oil.

The fix would be to refinish or wood replacement. Hard to tell from the pictures as posted, as to how bad the wood is dry and cracked. Im sure the cracks in the finish will be less noticeable as the lemon oil dissipates from the wood over time. 

-Ace-

I am surprised that the doors under the cabinet don't have these cracks.  They were the most dry and are in the line of the sun as it moves from the southwest. The cracks seem to still be dry along with the halo areas around them. And where there are the most cracks, the area itself still seems to be dry.   I didn't know if I need to keep oiling these areas until they no longer appear dry or will I make the problem worse? I have reapplied oil in several of these areas.

I get how that would have prevented this problem but would it be helpful now? Also, this is in our hearth room so it is connected with our kitchen which should have more humidity than other areas of our house.

Winter and fires will do dramatic things to humidity. Humidity does even out, but it takes time to do that. Old timers (my dad and his brothers) always put a pan on a wood stove because of the very spot you are having trouble. The heat plume out the front of the fire box will keep that one panel dry while you burn. Right now I would think you are in damage control. While the panel may be as dry as it can get, I would try to keep it there and try to do everything possible to not let the humidity content drop lower. It is what I do in my firebox and my whole mantel and chimney are stone. I do this to keep the ceiling plaster from cracking worse. It is always something.

Ace: You are the finish guy. Does oiling even restore moisture or does it just slow the transfer?