Buying a workbench

Dnorris1369

You can use a bigger outfeed table attached to your saw for many hand tool operations. This is the 21st century there are loads of clamps, clamping fixtures and other holding devices available. I could see using a hand plane or scraper easily on my outfeed table, its not going anywhere my saw and table weigh over 700lbs. As long as you put a little thought into what you need to clamp its easy to come up with a solution. My favorite is Kreg key hole plates but the possibilities are pretty much endless.

I'm new also, I built a 2 by and plywood bench added a vice and some shingles on lower shelf (for weight), 50 bucks, does not budge. At some point a better bench will get built. Part of the dilemma is I did not know what my needs were going to be. Only time will tell.

Woodcraft has a top at a modest price.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/145685/24-x-60-Laminated-Maple-Bench-Top-70-Lbs.aspx

That's the toughest to build.

Just add a frame underneath.

Could be a pretty nice table for about $300.

That said, I do a lot with the older B&D Workmates as benches.  Great for clamping and mounting tools like a drill press or small router table.

Although soft, a bench top of laminated construction lumber works well and is very inexpensive. Having the extra mass is great for pounding on stuff, without having to locate over a leg. Dog holes are great. Vices are great. Don't really need any of it for all power tool work. I prefer my smaller (22" x60") bench, because I can reach all of it without moving, and it fits my work habits. A piece of plywood over some horses does me for an assembly table when I need the extra real estate.

D I've been vacillating between build or buy for months.  There are a lot of great benches available on the market depending of course on how much you want to spend.

I was and still am considering it... here's one that I have been eyeing...  Getting in the vicinity of a LN bench at this price point.  Still probably 65/35 on Build/Buy spectrum myself...

http://www.americanworkbench.com/WoodworkingBench.html

Why on earth would you name a woodworking bench after a silver smith?  Totally different trades.