First goblet

Bombarde16

ecc73f7d37486df36f264de661296fc7.jpg

Again with my resolution to conquer my fears of the far side of the lathe. Found a chunk of bone dry Douglas fir and am turning a piece into a goblet.

Shown here after excavating the inside and soaking it with shellac. Knock on wood, shaping the outside will be a cakewalk compared to hollowing the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here it is.

40dfe02123d5804e5ffdeec686ea4e50.jpg

I carved the base by hand to mask the four points where the chuck grabbed the wood. Four kerfs, coping saw to get the shape, then lots of faceting slices with a chisel to blend the surface. I like the way the facets contrast to the sanded surface of the upper half.

• Like 1

I'm impressed you got the Douglas fir that smooth I tried it once and it just riped and tore none stop.

Yup, softwoods do that. You just have to find the right tool for each area of the project. Parts that are nearly parallel to the axis take a skew chisel. As the line curves towards perpendicular to the axis and you get into end grain, a scraper is your friend.

Lastly, the secret weapon is a coat of shellac. Once the form is close, slather it with a good soaking of shellac, then once that's hardened, come back for a final pass with a freshly sharpened blade. After that, sand and you should be set.

The base of the goblet was another story. After shaping on the lathe, I took a broad chisel and whittled the whole surface. Didn't remove much material, but each slice of the chisel left a gleaming little facet.

One other trick that occurs to me for perhaps saving a softwood project where the early wood gets all ripped up is a blowtorch. IIRC, There's a traditional Japanese finishing method that involves lightly torching the surface of a coniferous wood. The late wood just gets toasted but the early wood gets incinerated. Come back with a wire brush and scrub it out, leaving a pronounced ridged surface. Having a piece on a lathe should make it easy to get an even char all around and that would eliminate any patches of torn grain.