Two prep (sanding and dewhiskering) questions

matthew-s

Hi.

Planning to gel stain and varnish my project (birch lumber).

I'm nearly done sanding the bare wood down to 220. Two questions:

1. Did I sand too far for gel stain? The jar of General Finishes stain I purchased today calls for sanding between 120 and 150! Will the stain not stick? It's a light yellow/amberish color in case it matters.

2 Do I need to "dewhiskering" routine if using oil stain and varnish? I'm under the impression it's a process needed for water based products, but I'm not sure about oil.

Thank again,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why you feel the need to stain a yellowish wood yellow, but yes, the gel stain will work fine.  I imagine the instructions are saying you should sand to at least 120 or 150.  Gel stains were formulated to work on top of already sealed wood, so it will surely work on raw wood, regardless of how high you sand.

Oil-based stains and finishes don't raise the grain much if at all.  Whatever fuzzies do pop up you can knock down during your sanding between coats of finish.  Lightly with 320.

Thanks Eric.

The jar says "sand to 120 and no finer than 150".

I have some 150 so I guess I can scuff up the work if I need to. The wood just feels so nice now :)

As far as color, I'm not totally set. I would like it to look "warm" and show off the wood a bit. I need to do a test board with the two colors I have. The samples at the store are pretty rotten. I bet they sell a lot of finishing products on the basis of you needing to try them to know what they will look like!

Take my comments with a grain of salt...I'm not a fan of staining anything so my experience with stains is limited.  I could be wrong about the higher grits not being a problem with the gel stains, but for the life of me I can't think of a reason why.

Whiter woods like maple and birch will take on an amber color when finished with an oil-based finish.  Definitely do test boards before jumping in head first with any of it...you may find stain unnecessary for the color you're looking to achieve.

Maybe those of you who voted "no stain" are right. Here are two sample boards: 220 sanded and P180 sanded (albeit quickly, so not perfect).

To me, the stain made them look "dirty". I'm looking for "warm". These don't have arm-R-seal on them. Could that be the problem?

post-8142-142262363135_thumb.jpg

Maybe I need to look at shellac. Perhaps blonde or lemon, maybe orange? I've had a hard time finding good photos of what those colors look like on wood. Just lots of pictures of flakes.

I'm also worried about durability, as its a table for family game night, but it sounds like a lot of things will stuck to Dewaxed shellac?