Copper Top Box

Enclosed spaces

In this newest experiment in copper/wood I've used fumed Gary Oak, Western Big Leaf Maple, WBLM Burl, fumed and beaten Copper, microfiber. The box is 10x7x3 and just has the one divider with a simple lift lid. Eventually I hope to progress to more elaborate type box's, for now I'm trying to keep them as simple as possible. Still finding it hard to keep any of the colours from flaming on the copper. As soon as I apply any sealant the colours disappear, hence the fuming with salt and ammonia fumes.

post-16187-0-27718600-1422238594_thumb.j

post-16187-0-99437100-1422238620_thumb.j

post-16187-0-58718100-1422238724_thumb.j

• Like 1

You can get the copper to change colours in several ways. Heat or chemical reaction. Both methods start with clean copper. I do it by washing the copper in a degreasing solution, rinsing really well under running water, dry thoroughly, then wire brush it till it shines. No touching with bare hands at this point. Heat (known so flame colouring, lots of videos on YouTube) is done with a hot flame. I just use either aa small hand held butane torch or my larger propane torch (depending on the size of the copper sheet. The chemical reaction I'm using is ammonia fumes and salt. Wet the copper, sprinkle on a reasonable amount of salt, place the copper with salt in a sealable container containing a ammonia(I use just regular household ammonia). Leave it in the container till desired patina is reached ( from hours to overnight ). Also soaking the copper in an acetic acid then placing in the ammonia box is also supposed to work. Haven't tried that on yet. Both of these methods produced on oxide on the surface of the copper. The problem I'm having is the flaming produces a beautiful range of colours which change over time as further oxidation takes place; I'm trying to seal those colours so they stay. Have tried top coats and waxes. Both just simple spray or wipe the colours away. The chemical Patinas change colour a bit but at least don't disappear when sprayed or waxed.