Little Black Thingy

Coop

Forgive my technical terminology, but I think what you are referring to is armor for the little electronic deally-bob which sets off security scanners, so one won't carry it out of the store, etc.

Edit:

Inside of the plastic cigar-shaped thingy is an electronic what-not which is unrelated to your tool.

You can bust it off with a "channel-lok" pliers but don't damage the cord.

Oh...I should say that if I misunderstand the thing you're thinking about, then you should ignore my advise

Are you talking about a "noise" filter that wraps around the cord?

For example...http://www.amazon.com/Black-UF50B-Noise-Ferrite-Filter/dp/B00MJVN1E0/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422245469&sr=1-12&keywords=noise+filters

In general these just filter electromagnetic/radio frequency interference depending on type.

Coop, I think what you are referring to are the ferrite "beads" or "donuts" that are intended to provide some level of electromagnetic shielding for the signals on the cable. I see them most often on VGA monitor cables, or the DVI monitor cables that also carry the VGA signal. Haven't noticed the beads in use on purely digital video cables like HDMI.

• Like 1

I think I've been looking at two different things that look similar. The one on my Bosch router is made by Emtag and says do not remove and slides along the cord. I have a monitor at the office that doesn't slide but looks about the same. I bet the one on the router is for security and the one on the monitor is the one for noise suppressor. I'll leave them alone as they're not bothering anything or in the way. Was just curious?

So out of curiosity (dangerous I know) I did a bit more searching...

http://www.contractortalk.com/f5/what-plastic-slidey-thing-my-saws-power-cord-89135/index2/

Based on the above thread the research done there I believe these to be two different items... not surprisingly the monitor cable has a noise suppressor due to the requirement of its more sensitive electronics.  The power tool has a theft prevention device.  If the item on your cord has a patent number on it that is a good way of checking.  That is what someone on the thread above did...

Thanks Dave. I agree with you after reading what others, like yourself, with more knowledge of these things have said. These two look alike but have different functions. I was afraid to remove the one on the router for fear that red dye would spew out!