Bar finish

MILLERRIG

Hi, I am a DIY working on an "outdoor" kitchen.  It is outside but under a roofed screen enclosure, so it gets temperature variance and some sunlight through the screen at times.  I bought a rough cut plank of Cypress for my bar top and have used a Minwax stain to darken it a bit.  I also bought Minwax "fast-drying Polyurethane" clear satin finish but am hesitant to use it until I get some advise.  I don't want a high gloss finish like you see on most bars.  I'm going for a rustic look.  Since it is a bar, the wood will be exposed to food, wet glasses and such so it needs to durable and wipe-able.  Can anyone advise me on what product would be best to use?

If you are not planning on planing, flattening or smoothing the rough cut cypress I would consider looking into the pourable bartop coatings. It's the only way you will get a wipe able surface. You can use a series of abrasive pads to reduce the shine if you don't want a gloss. It's been years since I used these coatings so I don't know what is currently available. I'm guessing a two part epoxy or catalyzed finish.