Chisel caps/protectors

Tom Cancelleri

Mine are in leather rolls, inside waterproof toolboxes, like all my other small tools, but the longest they stay anywhere is a

year or so, in quite varying conditions.

The ones I gave as gifts this year had magnetic covers from Lee Valley. I sharpened them so sharp that they were not safe in plastic end protectors not made for a particular chisel. I wish those things came in more sizes,

with the smallest size smaller than an inch.

I've put a bunch of aftermarket plastic caps on chisels, mostly to protect the chisel rolls, but the sharp edges go through a lot more than I'd like, and still end up cutting the leather.

Taking time to make something better is still not worth the effort for me right now though, since we have so many hundreds of other tools that get called on too.

Try this:

Take some masking tape.  Doesn't matter what kind, the blue stuff works great, but it's not important.  Wrap it a few times around the chisel, sticky side OUT.  That's right, you don't want the sticky stuff on the chisel, you want your wrapping to be able to slide on and off.

Then:  Dip the thing you just created in plasti-dip.  You'll probably need three or four dips.  Just keep dipping.  When it's dry, slip it off, and trim the "top" closely so no tape is showing, just plastic.  You now have a custom sized end cap.

• Like 2

I saw a tip (I think it was from fine woodworking) where they used this method.

1. Take a piece of card (manilla folder or some such) and cut it so that it is long enough to fold over the tip and wide enough to fold back on itself across the chisel. For a 1/2"chisel make it say 2" long and maybe 1" to 1 1/2" wide.
  2. Fold it in half and place the blade of the chisel into the fold.
  3. Make a mark either side of the chisel along the fold.
  4. Cut along the fold from either side up to the mark (you should have an uncut portion the width of the chisel, 1/2" in this case.
  5. Open the card and place the chisel bevel up so that the blade is along the uncut portion of the fold then fold the card from either side across the bevel side of the chisel so that it forms a pocket for the chisel. Tape it over with masking or blue tape.
  6. Turn the whole assembly over so that the chisel is now bevel down.
  7. Fold the remaining ends of the card back over the back side and tape.

This now forms a snugly fitting pocket for the chisel tip and can roll around the drawers without hitting the edge. It is dirt cheap and you can experiment with the length and width and only takes a few minutes to construct.

Another alternative is to get some leather scraps and make small pockets using your sewing skills for the chisel ends. Again, will not take long at all and costs very little in materials.