Is this fair pricing?

Chet

Just a question of curiosity.  I am located in the San Francisco bay area.  The lumber yard that I buy from sells all S3S and S2S.  Recently I purchased a bunch of 4/4 Red Oak for $3.90 a board foot and some 8/4 Cherry for $5.50 a board foot.  The down side to this lumber yard is they don't sell anything small like something that turners would use to make pens or bowls or other small items.  Most of their stock is 8 to 10 ft.   Not to far from this lumber yard is another lumber yard that sells nothing but S4S that at most might need some light sanding.  This is a great place for the people that don't have the tool set up to be able to buy from the other lumber yard.  And they have all sorts of small stuff too.  But when I Iook at their prices I can't help but wonder if they aren't taking advantage of this crowd and kind of sticking it to them a little.  I went in there today to pick up a couple of small pieces of purple heart and yellow heart for my grand son for a show and tell he wants to do in kindergarten.  While I was there I went back and look at the prices for the equivalent sizes that I had just purchased.  Their 3/4 Red Oak worked out to $15.75 a board foot and the  8/4 Cherry was $39.50 a board ft.  Would you think this a going rate for having it all milled up for you?

Yea, I was kind of guessing it was a ream job.  I have never had anything milled for myself, I have always done it in my shop so I was unfamiliar with what going rates might be.  They do give you a coupon for 50% of on the KY at the drug store next door.

I bought my first stick of hardwood after I bought a power planer, till that point I built everything out of pine, usually Douglas fir. No one has to buy it, so if they can sell it for that, then that is whats it worth. When I decided to build some hardwood pieces I bought a planer and a jointer, paid for them in the first 2 projects.

I just stopped by Frank Miller lumber Company on my way home from work and picked up some rough cut 4/4 hard maple off of a clearance rack for $2.50 board foot, very nice stuff, its random widths but all cut to 6' in length, I only got 25 bf because I was in the car, should have gotten more.

But they charged me $6 bf for a 2 bf piece of s4s quarter sawn oak (to cut up into turning blanks)

The guy I buy my KD hardwood from sells me walnut, oak, ash sycamore for $2 bd ft...poplar is $1, I can't find a reason to buy my hardwood from anyone else. He also enjoys a drink or 4 so there's more in common than I thought!

That sounds like one heck of a deal, I don't know if that would help me deal with wood envy, or make me a wood hoarder

That sounds like one heck of a deal, I don't know if that would help me deal with wood envy, or make me a wood hoarder

I have a shop that's 108 sq ft... If I could, I'd buy 1000 bd ft a week, but I just don't have storage, so I go and drink with him and buy just what I need for whatever project I'm working on.  And he's good company!  I find that combination, very hard to beat!

• Like 2

The guy I buy my KD hardwood from sells me walnut, oak, ash sycamore for $2 bd ft...poplar is $1, I can't find a reason to buy my hardwood from anyone else. He also enjoys a drink or 4 so there's more in common than I thought!

Dang, Richard! I'm going to have to rent a U-Haul and come visit you one of these days!

I know a guy in Union City, TN who sometimes has walnut for under $1 / bf, but it is air dried, and usually pretty gnarly stuff.