Year 12 Major work!!

hannaeerb

Hello! My name is Breeannah and I am currently completing my year 12 major work for Design and Technology. I would very much appreciate it if anyone with some sort of experience could answer a few questions in order for me to comprehend what is required for my desired project. I wish to manufacture a wooden trunk that doubles as a table; within this trunk there will be two or three wooden stools that can be used at this ‘table’. I intend to utilise furniture that is found on the side of the road and/or pallets for this project.

1.     Do you believe that using wood from furniture and pallets is a safe idea?

2.     What timber should I aim to use?

3.     Do you believe that the timber will be strong enough to support storage and people leaning on it?

4.     Should I purchase timber, such as structural pine, to construct the framework?

5.     What hinge/s do you recommend to support the lid of the trunk?

6.     What type of joint would be optimal for this project?

7.     Is it suitable to use a mixture of coconut oil and beeswax to finish the timber?

8.     Are there any other recommendations you have for the product?

Thankyou very much! 

Hello Breeannah,

Rather than the community answering all the questions you have posed have a look at the information contained within your Design and Technology books. Then apply that information to your design. It is also much better if you provide a picture of what you expect the item to look like with dimensions. You also need to consider the ergonomics of the design.

For instance:

• could people sit comfortably at the table with their legs properly underneath?
  • would the design be suitable for both adults and children?
  • where is the piece finally going to be located?
  • what space is there in the area it is intended to go?

To enable us to make suggestions:

• what tools do you have?
  • what experience of construction do you have?
  • What area of the world are you in that has furniture at the side of the road? Do you mean scrap wood found at the side of the road?

Then asking questions like "what sort of joint would be optimal" would then become clearer. There are many joints that can be used but some may be not relevant to this application.

Do a bit of thinking for yourself first of all to elucidate your requirements.

On question 7 I personally would not use coconut oil but again this may be something that is used in your part of the world. Also clarifying your location would give the community the chance at recommending suitable timber that can be sourced locally. 

• Like 2

I agree with Terry. Regarding the use of salvaged furniture or pallets, just take care how you handle the material. Pallets occasionally are treated with harmful chemicals. Insects and rot may be present as well.

Regarding the oil & wax finish, I would not think it suitable for this project, as it offers almost no protection for the wood, must be renewed often, and will not seal the surface of any lumber that you suspect is contaminated.