Router Bit Recommendation

neoOberon

I'm looking to buy a Rabbiting Bit for my router...will primarily be used on sheet-goods. I'm looking to go with a 1/2" shank...

I've seem some bits come with a few bearings, where as others come with 6-7...do I need a lot of bearings? I'd rather pay extra and get a good bit...if Frued good? Or is Frued over-rated?

Also, can anyone recommend a dado bit...again, primarily used with sheet-goods.

I'm ordering a Dado stack for my saw...but need the versatility of the router for some projects.

I would say some of your choice is based on how you intend to use the bits. By hand or in a table with a fence. Your dado blade set is going to do your rabbets and dados easier than a router bit. I your looking to a router to do stopped dados in case work you can also to that with your dado blade.

I don't have a router table...and for the amount of us it would get, I'm not looking to build one. So my router will be used by hand.

The reason for rabbit/dado bits is because of setup...I'm primarily a hand tool user, so I don't have a big power tool setup. I wanted to make some basic cabinets and maybe a bookshelf or two. If I were to cut rabbits in the end of a 8ft section of plywood, I can see things getting out of hand. 

Cutting length wise shouldn't be a problem...but again trying to slide a 6ft/8ft length of plywood sideways probably won't end well. I could use hand tools I guess...router plane and a carcass saw. 

If I were to use a table saw, I assuming I would need to build a dado sled? Seriously, I have no idea...

The real trick with doing big panels on the tablesaw is just use push blocks, like the ones for your jointer. 

My jointer is a No. 7 vintage Stanley (Bailey).  :D

Whiteside it is...I've never heard of Whiteside, but searching the forum and online, they appear to have quite the following.

Thanks everyone for the input...

Best online prices at Hartville Tool...use code wn15 for 15% off!

Looks like at least one person here reads my posts!

Hartville's prices are usually cheaper than others plus always have free shipping. Add the 15% discount and it's a pretty good deal. 

It would be cool if Marc had his own discount code he could publish here which I'm sure would send more business Hartville's way but might conflict with some of his other advertisers.