New Scrapers

Tom Cancelleri

I've got some thinner scrapers that I've had for a bunch of years that i used for scraping guitar bindings and rosettes. Thin scrapers are better for finer finishing. The hooks don't last too long.

I have 1 rather stiff .032" scraper that Is a pleasure to use. That came with my new burnisher. I wanna add a few more scrapers with different hook angles, and wanted some opinions on which scrapers. I know, I know... It's a piece of steel and there shouldn't be too big of a difference, however steel quality make a huge difference. The finer the grain structure the better the hook. 

Right now it's a toss up between 

Bahco

Two Cherries

Crown

I've read the Bahco steel is a finer grain structure and better overall steel. Any thoughts or comments on which you'd recommend?

I buy mine from LN and Veritas.  I may be paying a little more for no reason, but they're so cheap to start with I really don't care and prefer to know I'm getting good stuff.  I try not to think too much.

The crappy thing is I just ordered something from Lee Valley Last week and something from LN the week before. I had 2 scrapers in my cart from LN and dropped em as I figured I already had scrapers.  For 2 scrapers I won't pay 8 bucks shipping when Amazon is free 2 day shipping.

Yeah I know I HATE paying for shipping and it's a turn-off.  Lucky for LN and LV, they have certain items that are difficult or impossible to buy elsewhere, so you're kind of stuck buying from them a lot of the time.  But they need to wake up to the 21st Century...people don't like seeing shipping charges...just inflate your prices a teeny bit and deceive us...please!

• Like 1

Yeah I know I HATE paying for shipping and it's a turn-off.  Lucky for LN and LV, they have certain items that are difficult or impossible to buy elsewhere, so you're kind of stuck buying from them a lot of the time.  But they need to wake up to the 21st Century...people don't like seeing shipping charges...just inflate your prices a teeny bit and deceive us...please!

It seems to me, that with your NSA and CIA contacts, you could put the squeeze on them, if for no other reason, than to help out your comrades in wood! Please!

Hey Eric, do you have the "Super Hard scrapers " from Lee valley? If so which thicknesses or do you have the set ?

Any advantage over the Bahco ones ?

Yes I have the set.  They're not quite as big as the LN scrapers but I still use them.  I use the two middle thicknesses the most...can't remember the numbers.  Never used Bahco scrapers so I can't offer a comparison.

Hey Eric, do you have the "Super Hard scrapers " from Lee valley? If so which thicknesses or do you have the set ?

The Variable Burnisher I just got came with a Super Hard Scraper. When the Bahco's get here on Thursday and I turn a hook on them I'll give you a comparison. 

I got my Bahco .8 and .6 6" scraper yesterday. Got them sharpened and tested them out versus the LV Super Hard Scraper. 

My thoughts:

LV Super Hard Scrapers:

Pros:

Clean and ready to burnish edges with no prep work needed

at a 5 or 10 degree hook they make nice consistent ribbons and the hook lasts a decent amount of time. 

Cons:

Very stiff, longer sessions are gonna hurt your fingers

a 0 degree hook for fine shavings isn't very effective on the thicker steel

Bahco .8 Scraper

Pros:

More forgiving on your fingers

Finer grain steel which gives a bit of a better and sharper hook

Cons:

Edges are rounded and need prep work upon arrival

Summary:

Both scrapers when properly burnished do a great job of smoothing a surface. The LV was more tiring to use than the Bahco. They both held a hook for about the same amount of time of work on hard maple. Neither did a great job of fine shavings at a 0 degree hook. I put a 0 degree hook on my .6 Bahco and got really nice results. I have no thinner LV scrapers.