New One Time Tool. Another Woodpecker Square

http://www.woodpeck.com/mftsquare.html

Squaring Up Your Festool MFT Just Got A Whole Lot Easier. Woodpeckers newest OneTIME Tool is the solution to squaring the MFT guide rail and fence. It is purposely designed with features that make it uniquely effective. Our MFT Square’s 1-1/8” thick legs allow users to square the fence and guide rail for material 1” thick or less while the square lays flat on the table. The square’s 17” long legs provide ample reference surfaces.

But it's made in the USA! If you don't buy this product, you don't support your fellow man.

Sommerfeld is the best with this...  You can get their 3pc tongue & groove set for only $99.90...or you can buy the same set "made in the USA" for $149.90.   It's either a sad example of aggressive marketing or a sad illustration of the overhead of American industry or both.

Sommerfeld is the best with this...  You can get their 3pc tongue & groove set for only $99.90...or you can buy the same set "made in the USA" for $149.90.   It's either a sad example of aggressive marketing or a sad illustration of the overhead of American industry or both.

I'll try to support some US products when I get the chance, but I question it sometimes. I just picture factories with loads of temp workers making barely $10/hour and the "corporate" bosses sitting in their offices - doing nothing - raking in the cash because their products are "American Made" ... not always the case, but that is what I envision.

I just took a quick look at that. I think the $50 difference is in the 'carefully matched' value, since the bits obviously have to compliment each other, and minor inconsistencies could affect your work....same reason that the stamped $20 cheap squares are all inconsistent...except imagine that you needed two, and they had to match up.

Sounds similar to vacumn tubes in hi-fi and guitar amps. You want your pair to be perfectly matched. Sovtek makes em cheap in Russia, but there are minor inconsistencies there as well. American made tubes are commonly 'matched' when you buy a pair. There's a price tag for that.

I just took a quick look at that. I think the $50 difference is in the 'carefully matched' value, since the bits obviously have to compliment each other, and minor inconsistencies could affect your work....same reason that the stamped $20 cheap squares are all inconsistent...except imagine that you needed two, and they had to match up.

They advertise that characteristic for the cheaper set too:  "The big key to this whole system is that both the Tongue & Groove bits are a perfectly matched pair in height. This allows repeated changing out of bits if necessary without adjusting the router."  They should both be "carefully matched" or even "perfectly matched" as they claim.  The only difference is "manufactured in X" versus "manufactured in the USA".     Now if what T said in another thread is true that the "made in the USA" version is made by Whiteside, that does inspire confidence that there is an actual quality difference.

They advertise that characteristic for the cheaper set too:  "The big key to this whole system is that both the Tongue & Groove bits are a perfectly matched pair in height. This allows repeated changing out of bits if necessary without adjusting the router."  They should both be "carefully matched" or even "perfectly matched" as they claim.  The only difference is "manufactured in X" versus "manufactured in the USA".     Now if what T said in another thread is true that the "made in the USA" version is made by Whiteside, that does inspire confidence that there is an actual quality difference.

Yes but what is the price difference when you buy them from someone else. Sommerfeld is more of a traveling show type sales company. The CMT set can be had for a few bucks less even comes with the pretty box. Really with todays tools they are more of a gimmick than anything else. A Freud t&g set will produce the same results if you must use this gimmicky method of assembly.

Price difference 

Whiteside Tongue and Groove 2 bit set is $105, add in the Whiteside flush trim bit for roughly $35 and you're looking at $140.

Sommerfeld kit is all 3 bits for 150, and a fancy plastic case to hold all 3 bits =P. It's not that big of a price difference. Also the height matching is a nice little touch having used it. It makes things faster, less futzing around with adjusting router height and countless test cuts.

Also the height matching is a nice little touch having used it. It makes things faster, less futzing around with adjusting router height and countless test cuts.

On that topic, how do you change bits without adjusting the height?   Crazy wrenches to change below the table?   A lift that can take it back to the exact same spot?  

Go to a show. Watch the Sommerfield Road show soapbox presentation. Leave your wallet at home

That would require time I don't have and effort I don't care to give. =p    Also it would require any of the "shows" to come somewhere remotely close to Chicago.  Most of the various conventions and whatnot skip over Chicago like a plague.   It's so annoying when something goes Indianapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis...they fly overhead or drive through multiple times. =(