Are either of these worth it?

mrrhode04

First post is deleted, hope you got it. Otherwise likely sold. Second one is a newish 6" powermatic jointer. At 550 its expensive for a used 6" jointer. But you are paying for the brand and that it has "never veen used" according to the seller. Likely that is not a good thing and you might need to replace bearings if it actually did spend a decade not moving. The belt would also need to be replaced. If they rubbed the packing oil off it might have rust on the table (can't see the table in the picture) which is not a big deal but never used on a machine of that age is not a benefit.

I paid 200 for a used 6" grizzly jointer in Maryland, and I common see others go for less then 400. But your area may be different.

I bought a powermatic 54a with the long beds for $500 off CL here in Vegas about a year ago. Just for an comparison for you. The guy only used it for trimming doors for install. It was in really good shape.

I am pondering selling it and getting a grizzly 8" with the segmented head and parallelogram tables. Not sure of your space constraints, but really think hard about 8" vs 6". I've read a lot about it and most everyone recommends starting with or switching to the 8" version.

$550 for a used 18 year old standard Taiwanese 6" jointer is steep IMO.  PM or otherwise.   It's not extra long, extra powerful, or extra wide.   It looks to be in nice shape, so might be worth some haggling over.  Once you get close to $400, a new Griz looks pretty good to me.

• Like 1