Poplar bowl

Bombarde16

c70357bd04469f34e632ac7b8bb95640.jpg

Someone cleared a small patch of woods near one of the trails that I hike. They felled maybe half a dozen trees, chopped them into manageable bits and left the logs piled loosely. I helped myself to one of a suitable size, split it into blanks and started turning.

Turned out to be poplar, so no great find there but still good for practice. 8" diameter bowl with an undercut rim. The inner diameter of the rim was just enough that I could reverse chuck it, rather than having to make a jam chuck to finish the foot.

Shown here sitting atop another chunk of the same log. Finished with a single coat of shellac followed by steel wool and paste wax. I think I'll fill it with candy and put it on my desk at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Rob, great looking piece.

Not being a turner, from what I've read, most pieces are turned green because it cuts easier?

Is there not a concern when the wood dries?

Most certainly. All sorts of wacky things happen when wet wood dries. I brought this log home back in September, split it and turned some chunks round. (Obviously, I got lazy and forgot to do the chunk that the bowl is sitting on.) At that time, the wood was sopping wet: the tool cut effortlessly with a geyser of shavings flying off the gouge. Makes you feel awesome.

Fast forward to two days ago, the blank had been sitting outside on my balcony for months. It was substantially lighter and what was once round had become oval. I finished the turning and it wasn't nearly as much fun: the wood cut hard and came off in piles of fluffy dust instead of ribbons.

This sort of two stage turning is quite common for bowls: get things roughed out green and then take it over the finish line after its dry. Most turners will nurse a stash of bowl blanks, roughing new additions and finishing stuff that may have been sitting there for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk