Rail and Stile Door Design and Construction Question

Orbb

I am going to build a door to fit a 48 inch opening.  Given the width, I am going to make it a bi-fold door, in a frame and panel format.

I want the door to appear to have three equal stiles, although the one in the middle will be split and hinged.  My question is whether it is better to build the door with all the stiles equal and then rip the middle stile down the middle, or build it as two separate doors with the inside stiles being 1/2 the width of the outside stiles (accommodating for hinges).  I plan on using a Domino to attach the rails and stiles.

Any thoughts or opinions?

What are you building it out of?

Doug Fir unless my efforts to carefully pick through the 1 x 12s at the big box stores yields sufficient boards which can be ripped to obtain the quartersawn vertical grain sections.

Supported or not? Meaning track or roller on upper jamb or floor. 

As of now, no track. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with Wdwerker (not picking sides) - that just how I thought I'd do it myself.  48" is not overly wide to get on the saw and rip.  I'd make the center stile a hair wider though, by the width of the kerf of my saw.  I just think it'll come out looking more even.  You can mortise for hinges and hardware after it's ripped.