Getting rid of old, very stubborn finish.

JRX

Hi Guys,

I hope you have some advice for me.

I have this old, french style? lounge set that I want to refinish. I wasn't sure what kind of finish it had on there so I tried paint stripper. That didn't work. So I tried denatured alcohol. That didn't work either. I then tried lacquer thinners. Didn't work. And with "didn't work" I mean didn't do anything to the finish, at all.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I've spent a lot of time trying to find answers on Google with no help beyond suggesting I use the products mentioned above.

Jacques

Hey thanks,

here are a few pics of one of the sides (top) I tried stripping. Stripper was on there for a good 10min+. There a chip visible where the finish came of, don't think it was from any chemical though...post-17023-0-60169300-1422635567_thumb.jpost-17023-0-79535200-1422635571_thumb.jpost-17023-0-51862700-1422635576_thumb.j Sorry bout the poor quality pics, it's the best I can do with a blackberry at dusk

Have you tried strippers with meythelene chloride in it ? Read carefully, use protection, gloves. Ventilation , respirator etc. I haven't used it in years but it's effective stuff.

Thanks for the reply. The can doesn't give too much info, I'll see if I can find the technical data sheet for that product and check whether it contains what you mentioned. Here I was thinking paint stripper is paint stripper... Thanks

Have you tried strippers with meythelene chloride in it ? Read carefully, use protection, gloves. Ventilation , respirator etc. I haven't used it in years but it's effective stuff.

Apparently the Duram Durastripp I'm using contains Methylene Chloride. Think I'll try it again and let it sit for little bit longer (than 10min). I'm baffled cause I've been using this product on anything that's not water-based, with great results...until now

Apparently the Duram Durastripp I'm using contains Methylene Chloride. Think I'll try it again and let it sit for little bit longer (than 10min). I'm baffled cause I've been using this product on anything that's not water-based, with great results...until now

10 minutes is not very long.

Longer is not necessarily better,   If the stripper sits too long and flashes off the finish will tack back up making it more difficult to remove. Some finishes just require more effort than others.

We all want that magic bullet where everything comes perfect in 2 applications. Sometimes just not the case.

-Ace-   

Is the can old? Perhaps the good solvents have evaporated some. Is the Durastripp a gel form?

I like the gel based paint strippers, it helps to slow the evaporation and keeps the product on the wood.

-Ace-  

Hey Ace, Was a new can, will try another today. It is indeed a gel form. With regards to the time, I've been using the Durastripp for a very long time and have found that it works best sitting for about 6 - 8min. After that it's less effective exactly like Ace explained. I don't have a problem doing 2 or more coats, that's the way I've been doing it. But at the moment every coat will be a first coat. Will try it in a couple hours time and see if any changes; maybe a bad batch maybe more time needed... Thanks for your replies

Hey Ace, Was a new can, will try another today. It is indeed a gel form. With regards to the time, I've been using the Durastripp for a very long time and have found that it works best sitting for about 6 - 8min. After that it's less effective exactly like Ace explained. I don't have a problem doing 2 or more coats, that's the way I've been doing it. But at the moment every coat will be a first coat. Will try it in a couple hours time and see if any changes; maybe a bad batch maybe more time needed... Thanks for your replies

:)

-Ace-