New chisel gripe. .

Brendon_t

I received my new 4 piece set of Narex chisles Saturday afternoon after ordering from Amazon on Friday evening.

This morning I went to do a preliminary sharpening since they wouldn't shave the hair on my arm ( super sophisticated method) I laid the first chisel back down to check/flatten the back. About 30 seconds on 320 and the black markings (brand - size - model code) are all gone. They must just be surface painted.

It seems I'll have to mark the size on the handle with a sharpie or rotary marker. .

End of rant.

I have narex, a couple Irwin and a couple old marples, and even a few contractor chisels from Lowes.  Not one of them has the size anywhere! I grab a chisel that looks like it fits, if not, I grab the next size.... My dado blades don't have sizes marked, I force myself to actually think!  My hand saws don't have how many teeth marked on them, but I "know" which is rip and which is crosscut.  I don't get the problem!

• Like 1

It takes time and experience but after a few years you can just grab a chisel and know it's the right one. Start throwing metric and inch tools in the mix and it might take some labels !

Back before they started putting metric fasteners on everything I could just look at a nut or bolt on the vehicle or equipment I was working on and grab the correct socket or wrench at first attempt. Damn metric system sure tossed that particular skill in the toilet!  :angry:

• Like 1

Back before they started putting metric fasteners on everything I could just look at a nut or bolt on the vehicle or equipment I was working on and grab the correct socket or wrench at first attempt. Damn metric system sure tossed that particular skill in the toilet! :angry:[/quote

as an old bmw tech, I can still do that with metric sockets. I just find it strange that they ink the sizes on there knowing one of the first things to be done with a chisel will erase it.

Back before they started putting metric fasteners on everything I could just look at a nut or bolt on the vehicle or equipment I was working on and grab the correct socket or wrench at first attempt. Damn metric system sure tossed that particular skill in the toilet! :angry:[/quote

as an old bmw tech, I can still do that with metric sockets. I just find it strange that they ink the sizes on there knowing one of the first things to be done with a chisel will erase it.

In a previous life I worked at an engineer's supply firm and in about 9 out of 10 cases I could tell head size, thread standard, pitch, thread included angle, and diameter.

Over here we have... Imperial (Whitworth) (55deg) , Unified (a standard adopted by a standards group convened in 1948 between US Canada and the UK), (60 deg),  Metric, (60 deg) and BA (45 deg from memory). For the old Whitworth the spanner nomenclature is based on the thread diameter so a 1/2" W spanner fits a standard 1/2" W bolt, unless they are using an oversized head in which case the 1/2" W bolt would use a 9/16" spanner.

We went metric in the 70s but that did not slow the sales of Unified and Whitworth.

Don't get me started.... :)

Now, what was this thread about again :o

John

I received my new 4 piece set of Narex chisles Saturday afternoon after ordering from Amazon on Friday evening.

This morning I went to do a preliminary sharpening since they wouldn't shave the hair on my arm ( super sophisticated method) I laid the first chisel back down to check/flatten the back. About 30 seconds on 320 and the black markings (brand - size - model code) are all gone. They must just be surface painted.

It seems I'll have to mark the size on the handle with a sharpie or rotary marker. .

End of rant.

Send them back! 

Defective for sure ... how is one supposed to tell a 1/4" from a 1/2" size? Damned confusing!

Regards from Perth

Derek 

Send them back!

Defective for sure ... how is one supposed to tell a 1/4" from a 1/2" size? Damned confusing!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Simmer down Aussie, I'm not worried about telling themall apart now. But when I add a 3/8 and 5/8 into the same drawer, it gets confusing.

Why print the label at all?