Yet another homeowner question...

Vyrolan

If it's dripping when I get home tonight, I'll cut a hole big enough to at least look around up there and try to see what's going on...   Well maybe...not sure I actually have a tool for cutting a hole in drywall without it becoming an epic adventure...a stop by HD may be in order.

Roof and or roof to wall flashing. Two feet of snow is overflowing the flashing. Inspecting is likely a job for the experienced. On that valley if the "tits" are not cut right, snow load can divert water. With a window so close to the roof hitting the gable wall, the flashing is very suspect. I would even drill an inspection hole behind some base board in that bedroom to see inside the wall below that window. If that is the vinyl that it appears to be, I would remove pieces on the outside to inspect. What would take you two hours would take me or someone more experienced even, around ten minutes. The problem is knowing or finding someone you can trust. You don't want to be sold a new roof if a valley need to be corrected. You do not want to be sold new vinyl for a flashing matter, or because some yahoo cracks it taking it down to inspect. My two cents. Drywall is cheap, but to me so is vinyl. This all depends on your skill set and that of your friends.

My skillset is non-existent for exterior matters, and I'm probably the "handy one" in my circle of city slicker friends. =p

My biggest thing is I have no idea what I'm even looking for or how to make sure I don't break anything trying to investigate. =p I can very easily believe its a flashing issue around one of the windows or at the edge. I can also easily believe it's a roof issue since the roof is a cheapo one the builders did. My inspector said the shingles looked close to 20 years old when they're at most 10 because that's when the house was built. =p

It feels like something along the side there where the snow built up and the water has been running down, but what I have no idea. I don't even have a good way to try to look around since the snow is up to my waist over there.

I would even drill an inspection hole behind some base board in that bedroom to see inside the wall below that window.

Do you use one of those inspection cameras for this? I've thought about getting one of those when they're on sale at HF...always seems like it would be handy to have around.