Ellen's Design Challenge

wtnhighlander

...I can't see anything she's made being in anybody's home.

That may be because this is a woodworking forum and you're a woodworker.  I have many friends/colleagues that would happily have her pieces in their homes...especially those in modern urban downtown condos.

I don't even know who was eliminated last night because our recording got cut off and apparently the show isn't big enough to garner any coverage whatsoever online.

I happened to see both the first and second episodes of the Ellen show last night. 

It is a TV show! :rolleyes: Supposedly using "design" and "woodworking" (making) to get viewers attention. But, in reality, it is about personality's and drama to appeal to more people, especially women. <_<

Is it entertaining? Eh, It is OK.

Does it have anything to do with wood working? NO! It doesn't even have that much to do with design either.

Is it about men and women working together and forming relationships? I think so. :wub:

Is it about drama? Well they try to get some exciting drama into it but, face it how much drama can you get out of a "game" being judged by other dramatic egos.

I still can't see (even with the "ARMY" of helpers) how anyone (or group) can build such elaborate pieces in three days. They wouldn't be fudging on us would they? Could they possibly have the build last more like a week or more and not tell us? I can't even get glue to dry and put a decent finish on anything in three days! 

I know CNC machines are fast but, with all of those cuts in the Plexiglas doors would still take an hour or more by its self! And the fitting and glue-up of the doors with diagonal grain in them would be a "bear" to accomplish in a day!

Rant over....Yes, I may watch another episode or two just to see who wins the $100,000. :P

Rog

I agree with Rog on the assembly time and yes they have added drama. I was glad to see the lady who lost the 2nd week. I think she should have been gone the first week. I wish they would even do an online extras showing the building of the projects for all the woodworking community.

I can't believe that it would sell for $30K.

Well, she did say in her SoHo store...so that's not exactly the land of Value CIty Furniture.  NYC can be a crazy place...and anyone living in SoHo that actually has a place big enough to have a dining table that size is the kind of person who pays $30K for one...

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing out this show, I hadn't been aware of it. I loved the winning table design in this week's episode. I am happy to see a show featuring furniture design and am pleased it is interesting enough for the masses. Too often I think people are unaware of the possibilities of furniture and think of it as just something to sit on, eat on, or hold stuff. This show can help broaden their vision.

Liked last night's episode, Tim did some nice work with the table, even after giving his first choice of slab away. I can't believe that it would sell for $30K.

Nothing better than getting the opportunities to use materials with no monetary cost to you. That slab was like $1600 alone. Stainless steel isn't all that cheap either. Gotta figure there's at least 3000 in materials alone in that table. As far as it costing 30K, no way would I spend that money on a table like that. 

They didn't send anyone home this week, bit of a cop out. Crayon girl and her cow table would had to have been put out to pasture and clearly Ellen did not want that to happen. I can understand, she is arguably the 2nd best performer in the pack and Cowboy would walk away with an easy win if she goes. The Blacksmith's table was almost as bad as the cow table, almost. Gaspar had an interesting idea with the tree table but didn't take the concept far enough. Carley (blacksmith) and Gaspar have both designed better (based on their portfolios) than they are doing on the show, I'm disappointed in their performance. Tim (cowboy) just has far more experience than the rest. I find it mildly annoying when they criticize his furniture as too masculine since they never criticize Carley's furniture for being too feminine or childish.

• Like 2

Gaspar was the only one to make a couch that looked like it belonged there but they've already picked the final two as being Tim and Katie so no win for him at this point.  I knew as soon as they said we had to take into consideration the past work it was going to be Carley going home. 

Guys, can we talk about that cow table?

The top of that table was actually really cool I thought.   The legs completely totally ruined it.   Some simple cylindical legs in either polised or brushed steel would have made a great piece.   The haphazardly-tapered legs trying to extend the black/white was just a horrendously-bad idea.

• Like 1