TVs

Eric.

So basically, what I got out of that article just skimming it, is they can't compete with the 4K LED technology and still turn a profit.

this article is one of the more technical explanations

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-plasma-201311133417.htm

There might be some Panasonic 65"'ers still floating around out there for a good price...

Yeah, if you call ten thousand dollars a good price, there is one available.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P65ZT60-65-Inch-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00BC4SNMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423081936&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+65%22+plasma

• Like 1

I think that's gonna be the big decision, Terry...to 4K or not to 4K.  It basically doubles the price.  I have to decide whether or not I care.  I don't watch that much TV anyway, but I enjoy enjoying it when I do.  I don't know how much I would enjoy enjoying it at twice the cost.

I should probably just get an old school one and pay a couple hundo to have a pro calibrate it.  It would end up looking better than top-of-the-line with me and my zero knowledge playing with the settings.

Yea I agree Eric I don't watch TV a great deal but I bought this SmartTV which is "just" HD and think if only I had waited another couple of years I could have got a 4K. But then something else comes out and so the cycle goes on.

Just get one that takes your fancy. It's a shame plasma is no longer made so the options are now LED or OLED.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not really the type who goes out and gets the newest technology because I'm too cheap for that, knowing that it will be a fraction of the price a year from now.  I buy my cell phones on a year or two lag...so I basically get mine for free.  And they're basically the same as the newest version.  Whatever bits are added practically make no difference to me.

I was pretty taken with the 4K image quality.  But given the fact that there's not much 4K content available yet, the fact that my receiver is old school and I'll have to buy more components to be compatible, and given the surely valid points that they tip the scales at the electronics box and try to trick you into thinking there's a bigger difference than there really is...I'm tempted to do the reasonable thing and just buy an ordinary awesome tv and be happy enough.  If I'm not satisfied with the picture I'll just get drunk instead.

• Like 2

I recently bought a Samsung 65" Smart TV (Black Friday) after my 60" Plasma blew up.  It is a 240Hz and I do get the "soap-opera" effect which my wife notices more than I do.  Mine is a 3d but I never use the feature.  Personally I wanted to stay away from Samsung due to all of the capacitor problems they had in some previous generations but in the end I couldn't pass up the deal.  It will do until 8K is out :)

Buy a Sony, some of their units have 480hz but not sure if it's actually 480 or some achieved effect. In two years the 4k will drop in price, then you can have both.

I have a Sony now and will probably buy another one for my basement.My LCD one has been great. My Father in Law purchased a newer higher end Samsung and they come over to watch all of the Broncos games because our picture is better.

Also check Consumer Reports for best buy and how the brands rate for repairs.

I got a Sharp Aquos , but it's about 1 1/2 years old now. I quit keeping up with all the new stuff once I made the decision. I used to be a big Sony fan too but it's been years since I considered them as a major brand.

+ 1 on the brand have had a aquos for about 3 years now

My wife and I have the Samsung 55" 3D Smart TV and it's great as stated above.

You mentioned 70" range. Another thing to research is you should only go as big as your space can allow meaning how far away you can be sitting from it or its a waste I'm told. If your sitting distance is 15' than 70" is too big to really enjoy.

You want the most Hz and the fastest refresh rates. You don't mention being a gamer but refresh rates/game mode can make or break winning in a game. You can check refresh rates with your cell phone. Video a TV you're looking at and look at it through your phone screen. How fast is it scrolling?

Myself and all four boys are gamers so that's the first things I look at. Keep in mind it's also so you can truly enjoy big fast action like in Tranformers. If you have a lot going on screen you need higher Hz and refresh rates to keep up so there isn't lag. ( just like gaming) More going on on the screen the more power you need. Just like our tools.

Gaming is not allowed in my house...if I wanted to waste my life I'd just mill some boards by hand.  :D

But after a little more research and another trip to Best Buy, I think I'll be going after a 65", since the leap in price for only an extra 5" is pretty significant.  And as you said, the room it's going in probably couldn't justify a 70" screen anyway.  65" seems perfect at the store when I look at them from the distance we will be watching from in the room.  I won't buy a TV less than 120Hz...whether or not I'll go with 3D or 4K or neither remains the question.  I have plenty of time to decide...by the time I'm buying they might be way cheaper. :)  Thanks for the advice!

Lot of good product these days. But like most things, it's going to come down to $$$ (saw a reference to McIntosh, so you already get that)...

I've been using Panasonic Professional Displays* for years -- certainly over ten: http://www.panasonic.com/business/flat-panel-displays/. If you have a processor that supports the extended broadcast color space (I use the Anthem: http://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-processor),the full-spectrum image is hard to beat... The black space is also extended-broadcast with high contrast... The off-axis is amazing.. But it's the clarity most folks notice first -- it's not like a TV image at all -- there's simply more information presented in a wider color space with a much higher-quality screen...

*Note: these are displays, not TVs -- you need an external processor...

The big decision is what you tend to watch: sports or movies. Some technologies are better suited to sports while others to movies...