TVs

Eric.

Triple I understood the first and last sentences only. Could you dumb it down because I've never even thought about that.

I think Triple is talking about using a High end display screens that require an input device, be it a blue-ray player or a TV tuner, I seen from his link you can still get those in plasma. I think the plasma TV's went away because of heat and energy consumption issues, but they sure do have a nice picture.

My question is, all of my TV's play through a cable box anyway, I wonder if that would be enough to feed one of these monitors or if you would still need a tuner plus the cable box?

If your sitting distance is 15' than 70" is too big to really enjoy.

Actually, 15 feet is TOO FAR from a 70" TV.    Most people sit woefully too far from their TVs.   That is one of the biggest reasons 1080i vs 720p vs 1080p vs 4K doesn't matter...people are sitting so far they can't tell anyway. 

THX recommends a 26-degree viewing angle for theater setups (meaning if you sit dead-center you the left/right edges of the display are 13-degres left and right)...   They also give a max of 36-degrees.   The SMPTE recommends a 30-degree viewing angle.  Using those numbers for a 70" TV, the THX recommends sitting distance of 7.8 feet with a max of 11 feet.  The SMPTE recommendation would be 9.5 feet.   So by the THX recommendation, your 15 feet is almost double the distance and well beyond the maximum.

Also, for a person with 20/20 vision, the maximum viewing distance for 1080i on a 70" TV is 9.2 feet.   This means someone with 20/20 vision loses the ability to tell the difference between 1080i and anything better (like 1080p and 4k) once they are further than 9.2 feet away from a 70" TV.    So if you are sitting 15 feet away from your 70" TV, you don't even need 1080p...let alone 4k.    For completeness sake, max viewing distance for 720p on a 70" TV is 24.4 feet...so if you sit 25 feet from the 70" TV, a DVD and a Blu-ray will look the same.

However, despite all of that, many people are like you and have a completely opposite gut feeling about it.  Most people are so used to sitting too far from their TVs that they're just kinda programmed to feel like that is best.  I also think so many people have been told their whole lives they'll go blind from sitting too close. =p   I also think that's one of the reasons why people still like "seeing it on the big screen"...you aren't going to be sitting too far from the screen in the movie theater even in the back row.

I won't even get into mounted TVs too high, but if your TV is roughly eye level vertically, try moving up to about 2 screen widths away from the TV and watching a movie...you may enjoy a more theater-like experience.

As an aside, I need to get all of my home theater stuff out of boxes and setup in my new house. =(

I won't even get into mounted TVs too high, but if your TV is roughly eye level vertically, try moving up to about 2 screen widths away from the TV and watching a movie...you may enjoy a more theater-like experience.

Which was going to be my next question after reading your seemingly well-informed rant...what's the general rule for best height to mount the TV, assuming that we'll be doing most of our viewing with asses planted on the couch?

Ideally they're just approximately eye level. Too many people mount them kinda high even for standing eye level and then sit down and have to look up even more. We're kinda used to that from looking up at displays all over. In my setups I normally do center speaker around shoulder level (while seated) and slightly angled up...then put the TV right on top of that slightly angled down. That puts the lower area of the TV at eye level...and slightly high is good because no one sits straight up on the couch. I like slightly high like that because of leaning back or lying on the couch (kids and toys and coffee tables make poor windows)..

==>first and last sentences

Sorry about that… Yea, I can see that my post could be confusing without sufficient foundation…

OK, I’ll try to cover some background with the understanding that it’s grossly over-simplified and somewhat wrong… :)

Everyone understands consumer TV formats – white isn’t quite white, black is more like dark gray, Caribbean blue is more like sky blue, etc… It’s a compression/transmission thing… The consumer formats are a subset of a broader set of commercial standards… Source material (movies, etc) are produced in the broader commercial standards and compressed to fit the narrower consumer standards... On certain sources (most commonly Blu-Ray disks), there are ways to process the information that makes a stab at restoring the original source (this is a bit wrong, but we'd get into the weeds in a hurry)... So the blacks on the disk are restored to midnight black, not consumer dark gray... The whites on the disk are restored to specular white, not consumer-level light gray. The Caribbean Blue in the movie is restored to almost Caribbean Blue and not the sky blue on a consumer TV (blues are actually quite hard to get right), but you get the idea... Broader range of colors, broader range of dark to light, etc...

For years, the gear that could process and display the wider set of standards was simply not available to consumers. Around ten or so years ago, you could get the gear, but it was astronomically expensive – say $100K for a low-to-mid-level setup… However, the prices have dropped dramatically, so it’s not as prohibitive as it once was… But I won't kid you, it's still not cheap and you can't get it at Best-Buy, Walmart, PC-Richards, etc... You have to go to a home theater shop and bring you checkbook...

Just like some audio guys enjoy jazz reproduced on turntables and tube amps in an effort to get past the analytical sound of CDs and closer to the sound of live music, there are those who get high-end monitors, image processors and bypass-capable BL players to go beyond the compression inherent in consumer audio/video and get closer to what the director intended... I figure if Kiki’s got MacIntosh tube gear, he probably falls into that category :)

The goal of the high-end universe is to recreate the original source in your home while leaving just enough money to get the kids through uni... However, for the truly addicted, food may become optional and the kids sold for medical experimentation, but I digress :)

• Like 1

I have a 42", 1080p, LED smart tv, mounted above the fireplace. I sit about 18 feet away from it.

None of it matters because the very costly stream of bits falling from the sky to that trash can lid shaped thingy I have to mow around contains nothing but crap anyway.

I can't even enjoy a good TWW Guild video unless I download it first, because the available DSL bandwidth is split between me and about a fourth of the county population.

==>general rule for best height to mount the TV

Vyrolyn's post seems about right... I've read Holman's book (inventor of THX)... From memory: seated at eye level + comfortable elevation (minor). If it's a real concern, I could look it up for you...