BigAss Lights

woodbutcher74

Coop since I was a Mazda tech for many years I've grown to hate shadows. So when we built our first house I made sure it was 12 noon no matter where you stand in my garage.

My old neighbor across the street said when I opened my doors it was like the seen in Christmas Vacation when he turned on his Christmas lights. LOL

Coop since I was a Mazda tech for many years I've grown to hate shadows. So when we built our first house I made sure it was 12 noon no matter where you stand in my garage.

My old neighbor across the street said when I opened my doors it was like the seen in Christmas Vacation when he turned on his Christmas lights. LOL

I have 40 T8 bulbs powered by HO ballasts with white walls and ceiling and it is nice and bright. If I put my hand a 6" above a surface I can see a slight shadow but working in there I don't notice any. 

I looked into these quite extensively. The con's outweigh the pro's for a wood shop. The following is my opinion based on research I did.

Pro's 

Small package despite the name with a big punch! At only 2 foot long these suckers put out 13,000 lumens with a 5000k color temp and > 80 CRI. That is  Kick A$$ output !

They are virtually indestructible.. Go ahead and wave that 2x4x8 footer at it...It won't break.

You can change the LED driver and lights when new technology comes along.

Con's

No matter how bright a light is, if it doesn't throw far you need more!

You need more than the advertised @ 1 per garage bay to evenly distribute light in a 12x24 room for wood working. 

at $400 beans a pop...Get your wallet out! There are better cheaper LED options.

I am currently pricing an LED high-bay system for the warehouse at work. The system is from Digital Lumens, using a 5000k, 80 CRI luminaire. These cost a bit over $500 each for the high-bay version, not sure about a low bay version. However, they incorporate occupancy sensors (motion and sonic, I think) into the fixture, as well as ambient light sensors. Each light is wifi networked, and they can be programmed individually or in zones to go dim or off when not required, and also to dim to allow ambient sunlight from open windows or doors to help meet the illumination requirements. Energy reduction is about 64% less than the existing Metal Halide lights, up to an estimated 85% reduction if the occupancy and ambient light features are used. Life expectancy to 70% original output is 200k hours of operation. And the illumination is just awesome.

None of that is relevant to most (all?) of us in our shops, but LEDs are just too cool. If you can find a unit that meets your needs, I'd say it is worth a little extra up front.

Check out the recessed light replacement LED kits at Costco. Those things are BRIGHT. I'm putting a couple of them above my saw sharpening area. Cheap too.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-5%E2%80%9D-6%E2%80%9D-LED-Retrofit-%7C-100W-Replacement-%7C-Uses-20.5W-%7C-1,245-Lumens-%7C-2,700K-Soft-White-%7C-50,000-Hours-%7C-4-Pack.product.100116152.html

They sell individuals too-I think the price was less than twenty bucks if you just want to try one.

5000k is pretty sterile, no? Don't your projects look completely different in the shop than they do in the house?

I use all of my leftover t-8's from when I first got into hydroponics (before going full blown 1000w metal halide/high pressure sodium). I found that a mix of 2700 red and 4000 blue in a double fixture give me a nice blend.

• 2 weeks later...

Costco does have the led shop light on sale until Feb 22 2015.  Save 8 dollars, that makes it 32 dollars.  Picked up one today and a rain check for 3 more, due about March 10 in Indianapolis.  38 watts, 3700 Lumens, 4100 K,  50,000 hours CRI 80+.  These are Feit Electric brand.  Cant find them on costco's webb site.  The store said they were selling like hotcakes.

We have BigAssFans in our Scout Camp dining halls....distributor or some muckity muck in the company sent his kid to camp and saw how bad the ventilation was in late July in Mid MO and made the council a deal... put one in each of the three dining halls and such.....When they first put them in an turned them on they could suck the lettuce out of the salad bar.....had to be very careful with how high you turned them up... :-)  We love them in the hot Ozark summer.....:-)  I saw the LED's and they are still pricey, but probably really good if you can justify the cost.

Jeff in KC

• 2 weeks later...

At 13,000 lumens, that big ass light is not much brighter than a 4 x 4ft T8 fluorescent fixture.  I have 9 of those.  I can't really spend $3600 on replacing lights in my garage (22x22).

The one thing that could drive me to using them is not having a hum from the fluorescent fixtures.  Unless you have some other background noise, it can get annoying. 

LEDs aren't affected by low temps so much, but low-end models do sometimes make noise. You have to note more than lumen outputs for comparing to other types of lighting. Color temperature makes a huge difference in perceived illumination. I have measured lights (metal halide) with 4500k temps that provide much more visible illumation than a 2500k light (high pressure sodium) that has 10 times the lumens (measured).