Turning last years tree?

Conrad12803

You won't have too much of a problem with smaller boards as it dries. Since your making ornimets it should be ok but there will be some movement. But wood wants to pull apart as it dries and move. So if your just let log dry expect cracks and checking to be on your wood blanks. If you try that with larger blocks you will have problems. You will want to rough turn the wood into bowls or what ever you making into 1" thick evenly formed sides and bottoms then seal the wood and let it dry a year. It's best to rough turn your blocks soon after its cut and seal it so it dries slowly and evenly.

i don't know about that there are many others who do this every day all year i have just done it and have it fail on me or succeed enough times that im starting to get a feel for it. the best teacher is failing just try not to do it to badly.  heck im more  versed in failing then succeeding its just a case of covering up my mistakes. best advice i can realy give is get some books from the library or the net and start reading. 

It's kind of a cool idea if you're the sentimental type, but let's be honest...you'll be turning with pine or spruce or fir...none of which, IMHO, are worth the cellulose they're made of unless you're framing a stud wall.

If you were dead set on it, I'd cut them into small chunks and seal the ends.  They should be dry enough to turn in a year I would imagine...it's not exactly dense wood.

• 5 months later...

I've been doing some thing similar for 15 or so years.  I usually cut off a short piece from the stump end to get it to fit in the tree stand and slice off a couple of 3/4 inch thick disk from this piece.  Then sand smooth and burn the year on one side.  Drill a small hole and string it on the tree along with the past years' disks.  Also a good project for kids ( with supervision, of course).

The tree usually lays out in the south forty until next year's tree shopping trip when I remember to go out and cut off a few choice pieces.  Try to keep the stump off the ground during the year.  Checks, cracks and small splits just add to the character.