Buying a 14" band saw, confused

Yanis

I am sure that this topic has been covered a million times but at the moment I am divided and would do with some input from some more experienced people here.

I am in the market for a 14" general purpose band saw. I will be doing everything including shaping, resaw etc. My budget is about $1k and I would like a 14" with a nice resaw capability, partly because I will be using some fallen timber from my property and an 8" resaw would be very nice indeed.

My choices so far are the following

A Jet 14" for $1,300 (discounted at the moment) http://www.carbatec.com.au/jet-14-industrial-bandsaw_c22227

The Carbatec branded for $1,000 http://www.carbatec.com.au/14-heavy-duty-bandsaw-ctj-3501_c19205

And there is this Leada model which is $1,300 but 16" and 3 HP. http://www.ledamachinery.com.au/index.php/bandsaws/16-inch-ledacraft-bs-400-bandsaw-detail

I have looked at second hand and they are few and far between in driving distance.

The Leda is a local brand, made in China and appears to be from the same factory as the Carbatech branded. However I have heard that Leda is not the best quality however I have also heard that the same factory produces various build standards and components for different resellers so the Carbatach may be a better product than the Leda.

My pocket is telling me to go for the Leda. My heart is screaming stick to Jet.

On the side of Jet I have heard that for the general purpose woodworker you are much better off with a lower power machine but higher quality since the setup is easier and stays in place longer. Also a sharp blade and good setup is much more important than power.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Love my Laguna 14-12.  The ceramic guides are worth it alone. 

We have covered this numerous times on the forum recently.  I few quick searches should yield more opinion on the matter than you can handle.  Good luck.

miw

The problem is I am quite restricted in what is available. From my local suppliers it is pretty much what I listed above. Only one Jet model, {also One PM (14" with 150mm resaw)) and a couple of badged Asian imports.

I really want the 200mm resaw so the PM is out and I can get other brands shipped but that starts to add hefty shipping onto the price which I want to avoid. The Laguna sounds nice but there are no distributors here.

John

Yanis - I don't think the Americans are quite understanding the shipping point.  But to take Laguna for example, Gregory Machinery in Brisbane is the Australian distributor.  Too far away for a visit to the showroom, to be sure, but it at least restricts shipping to inland rather than the painful-to-Australia international.   They are quoting Aus$1475, GST in, so outside the range of the others, although not much.  In terms of price to value, strikes me as a better proposition to reach the $200 over the Jet.  

Powermatic's distributor in Oz is Carbatec, so it is probably more available to you than you might realize from the local shop.  That is another step up in price, I really cannot offer an opinion on Laguna versus Powermatic.

There is another local company here, http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_4and they look quite good but not sure of their quality. The 14" looks the trick with the 1.5 HP motor and a 9" capacity.

The PM model that Carbatech list is a low end 14".

John

You will notice PM does not build bandsaws with unrealistic resaw capacities. The PM saws have bigger motors as resaw height gets taller. Even the bigger 1000lb 24" saws don't have big resaw heights because it take a bunch of motor and mass to resaw at a decent rate. The 15" is pushing it a little but its a built little saw.

• 2 months later...

Still looking. There are  a couple of local companies here, Woodfast and General Tools. I will also be in the market for a Jointer, 8" spiral head. General has an 8" with what looks like an option for a spiral head with the angled inserts (as opposed to straight) which are supposed to be better. They are way across the other side of town (cut lunch distance) but it will make a nice drive :) to look the machines over.