I Made A Promise To All Of You...

AstroDave

That I would show the good and the bad :)  Here is the first piece of shop furniture besides my clamp rack... It will hold my spindle sander...  I did this totally without plan and just spit balled the whole thing.  I learned a lot by doing that way but most learned that I probably shouldn't do that :)  First time using a dado blade...thus more dados than required...

CdIqSDym.jpgzVLMdVgm.jpguGwanTum.jpgJ3xz5Iwm.jpg

Hey shop furniture is the perfect time to practice your improvising muscles and build your "chops".  One of my favorite ways to build is to come up with a general sketch, dimensions, etc and then just get in the shop and figure it out.  SketchUp is great and all but sometimes a little overkill and developing your ability to come up with solutions on the fly can help you out in other more important/planned projects when issues arise.  Looks like your spindle sander stand is going to be a great addition to your shop.  Good job!

Thanks Guys for the kind words and encouragement.  I was a little disappointed in myself but I got over it.  It just shows me how much I still need to learn which is a good thing.  The adhoc element is something I enjoy but when I build my Roubo later this year I believe I will take a bit more structured approach.

You did fine so, don't beat yourself up.. One of the biggest reasonss we all build shop furniture is to learn and build things where the mistakes aren't critical. Now you have something that lives in your shop and will remind you often to "not make that mistake".

• Like 1

Nothing to be ashamed of...anyone who says they don't make mistakes is a liar.  They tend to happen more often when building on the fly, but I think you learn more when building that way too.  I suspect that cabinet will hold exactly what you built it to hold.  The next one will be better...they always are. :)