25" versus 37" drum sander

Pwk5017

I having been considering a drum sander for like 6 months now, and I am about a month away from deciding what the heck I want. Started with the Supermax 19-38, but I was concerned about the cantilevered drum and the fact that I would have to send something through twice to sand a common width of 20-24". So then I looked at the 25-50. Same cantilevered drum, but I was growing more comfortable with the idea(tons of glowing reviews), but now I was concerned about a single drum and 1.75 hp. I worried about how effective this machine would be at flattening edge grain and end grain countertop glue ups. On to a dual drum model with a 3hp motor. I feel like this has the power to abrasive plane 1/64-1/32" off a piece in one pass, but now I would be limited to 25" width, which could be a hassle 30-40% of the time. Finally, here is the point of this post--why is the dual drum 37" model THREE FREAKING GRAND more than the dual drum 25" model!?!? Is Southern Tool raking me over the coals here, or what? Same motor. Same general design and construction. 12" longer drums is the only substantive difference. Am I missing something here? Why such an insane price hike for not much gained? I really want to add a power sander to my lineup, but if I am buying new, I want it to be the right choice, and not a band aid. If its going to be a band aid, I will buy something off CL like a 24-25" grizzly/general and be annoyed with it 30-40% of the time. Is the Supermax 37x2 a good model? I feel like I have seen some of the older silver color models on CL for $1500-2000 in the last year. Worth it, or go new? Limited to single Phase power, or else I would consider trying to steal a timesaver from some of the local business liquidation auctions.

Patrick

Unless you have a production shop and you do this for a living, you won't need more than the 19-38.  They fixed the issues that the Performax units had.  Sounds like you're over-thinking and overspending.  If you are in business, the pros usually recommend wide belt instead of the big drums.  The Supermax will do anything a hobbyist needs it to do.

On to a dual drum model with a 3hp motor. I feel like this has the power to abrasive plane 1/64-1/32" off a piece in one pass, but now I would be limited to 25" width, which could be a hassle 30-40% of the time. 

3hp is not enough for a dual drum sander nor will it do what you are asking. 5hp minimum on a 25 and 7.5hp on a 37

Unless you have a production shop and you do this for a living, you won't need more than the 19-38.  They fixed the issues that the Performax units had.  Sounds like you're over-thinking and overspending.  If you are in business, the pros usually recommend wide belt instead of the big drums.  The Supermax will do anything a hobbyist needs it to do.

I don't do either, Im in Real Estate Development. However, I do enough business that I feel the need to properly equip myself. The last month and a half has been good to me in that I have averaged about $900 in sales a week. I have that amount of work queued up for the next month. Prior to December, I did about 1/3rd of that business a week. Will it continue? Who knows, but I do know that I have had it with standing over these projects with my PC belt sander.

PB, I messed up. The 25" and 37" share a 5hp motor. So the 25" seems correctly powered and the 37" might be under powered(and overpriced)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 37" super max dual drum and love it! In fact, i dont have a planer because of it. It takes a few more passes, but its 120 grit raedy unlike a planer.

I would swallow it and go big if you can. When getting it roughed down, i prefer to angle the work. Keeps burning to a minimum too. On longer work, i use every stinking bit of that 37".

Like most woodworking tools, its what you do that determines what you really need. Smaller work (less than 5'), you'd be money with a 25".

Fyi, could be the best built machine in my shop. Wish they made other stuff.

twodeuce,

do you have the one produced by performax or the one produced by supermax? Its ironic, because the performax one actually has 'supermax' written on it. If the 37" was $3,500 I would buy it today. I don't understand why its double the price of the 25" model. Anyways, I ask about which model you have because I have seen a few 37" performax dual drum sanders pop up on craigslist in the $1500-2,250 range, and wonder if they are the same. They are silver bodied if that helps.

Pwk5017,

It is Silver and I think you are right. Performax made and has Supermax written on it. It's an older model that only has 4" opening. On the brand new ones they now have 12" openings iirc. Again, simple built, we'll made machine. If you see a good one on Craigslist, the price is good, and you have the room, I absolutely recommend it.

Really, 1/16th in one pass is pretty incredible for the my intended purposes. If I have a glue up that's off more than 1/16-1/8" then I really messed up somewhere along the process. I see those silver bodied ones occasionally. In fact, I really screwed up 4 months ago when there were 2-3 of those exact models within an hour and a half drive of my house. They were all $1500-2,250 too. I cry into my shop apron on occasion when I think about it.

From my relatively short membership here, I surmise that Particle Board has worked in, or owned shops with seriously badass machines.

You need to be realistic of what your asking from a machine. Think about it this way the average 20" planer has a max depth of 3/32, 1/16 is really max on harder woods. A 4 head abrasive planer with 4x 20hp motors and 24 grit sand paper max depth of cut is 3/64.

If you want a drum sander just keep the expectations in check. Your going to have to take light passes to get the job done. It may take quite a few passes but eventually you will get there.