Ebony problems

nateswoodworks

I was just wondering what you guys thought of this, I'm working on a greene and greene style project so I picked up a 2" x 2" x 8" piece of ebony from Woodcraft. I get it home and take the wax off and much to my surprise it's covered in cracks-some of them go as much is a quarter inch deep! Now I payed almost $30 for this little piece of wood and am kind of ticked. Have you guys ever had this happen, did you bring it back? I would love to hear your guys input, thank you very much.

God bless,

Nate

Personally I have not run into that problem.  If it were me I'd return it.  If the store has any integrity they'll accept the fact that most of the stick is un-usable and either exchange or refund..  I've always gotten my ebony from Bell Forrest if you need another source :)   Good luck!

I bought an $80 ebony turning blank from Rockler once.  There's no way to know how green it is under the wax...I scraped it off and cut out a small chunk for a few plugs.  A week later it was covered in checks.  That's my fault, but it kind of doesn't matter...it will be used for plugs and small accents anyway.  I'll definitely lose more to waste, but I guess that's my punishment for buying a green turning blank instead of looking for a kiln dried piece somewhere else and paying even more.

If your piece was checked before you removed the wax, you could probably return it...Woodcraft couldn't possibly scoff at that request...it's an expensive chunk of wood and wouldn't be suitable for most turnings, which it was intended for.  But just realize that any turning blank you buy is going to check once you remove the wax unless you re-coat it immediately.

The wax was so thick you couldn't see the color or checks. The guy at a Woodcraft said their Enony was jet black so I reluctantly bought it, I'm going to call on Monday. Thanks for the input, this is the last time I buy wax covered wood from Woodcraft, we've never had a problem before when I let my son pick out a small piece or two of exotic each time we go-he makes guitar picks out of them so a little goes a long way, but they aren't covered in wax.

• 2 weeks later...

The wax was so thick you couldn't see the color or checks. The guy at a Woodcraft said their Enony was jet black so I reluctantly bought it, I'm going to call on Monday. Thanks for the input, this is the last time I buy wax covered wood from Woodcraft, we've never had a problem before when I let my son pick out a small piece or two of exotic each time we go-he makes guitar picks out of them so a little goes a long way, but they aren't covered in wax.

Take it back.  I've bought a couple pieces of ebony from Woodcraft and never had any problem.  Ebony is almost always wax coated so finding some that is not might be difficult.  I suspect you just got a bad piece and Woodcraft should make it right.  If the local store won't contact the parent company. 

I get all my Ebony at Tropical Hardwoods of Central America in Carlsbad CA. I've never seen the problem you are having. I would return it.

Same here. Seems only place in San Diego that carries it. TH&H no longer carries it although I have not checked with Frost.

Guy at Rockler claims they can't get it anymore since the Gibson Guitar fiasco. Claimed guitar manufacturers have been stockpiling it. Don't know if that is true.