How can I preserve the natural look of fir?

karootoo

Hi. I just built a window casing from vertical grain clear fir. I had plans to stain it and to finish it but once I looked at it I could not bring myself to do it. This wood is just absolutely gorgeous in its natural state with its reddish color and beautiful vertical grain. I realize though, because it is a window framing and a window sill that some sort of preservation will be necessary because the sunlight eventually will make the color disappear and the wood turn gray.

Is there anything that I can do that makes the wood look unfinished (and without adding gloss), identical to what it looks and feels like right now, and yet keep it from turning color?

Thank you very much for your suggestions

I second what Mr. Duncan said. I've had really good luck with General Finishes high performance. It's super clear, non yellowing. I'd probably take Mr. Duncan's advice over my own, but what I found worked well for me was to buy a can of gloss to build your protective coats, then sand it with a 220 and spray it again with a satin finish. I used this same method when I finished a slab but I used epoxy to build, then sanded it with 180 and sprayed it with the matte General Finishes Enduro Var, I was pumped, super happy that it didn't look like plastic and didn't alter the coloring of the wood. In my opinion, get away from staining, Buy the wood you want to immolate, you'll be much happier in the end. 

Hope this helps.

-Joe

I, personally, would use GF Arm-R-Seal.  It is my go to, thanks to Marc's finishing video.  I do not like to use stains/dyes because wood is pretty by itself.  Arm-R-Seal just pops that so much.  Only caveat, it does change the color in the same way boiled linseed oil will.  I happen to absolutely love that look, so it is the rout I would go.  If you want to have a super clear finish, Joe and Steve have the right course.

And to keep sheen to a minimum on film finishes like that, I learned a really cool trick from the 'finishing expert' at my local Woodcraft.  For all but the final coat, use gloss.  It will preserve the clarity.  For the last coat, use your satin finish.  That way, you have a nice crisp, clear finish throughout, and kill the glossiness on the last coat.