Walnut rainbow

estesbubba

It's almost sad that this board will have big holes cut in it for a raised dog bowl feeder. I don't feel so bad since it's walnut I got at an auction over 10 years ago for 25 cents a board foot. Could have got 4 times this amount but didn't have any room to store it. The stacks of eastern red cedar went for a lot more than that just before the walnut. Maybe they didn't want the shorter walnut boards or just had a lot of cedar chests to build.

auction1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I love walnut too. Bought some 4/4 for a table top and when I got it home noticed that I had two boards that looked like they were sequential cuts. Just glued them up to try to book match them. Only problem is that all the other boards are straight grained and don't look great next to either one.

d540a07f6c095b7b4a4b2268be952ea5_zpsac2e

I've never heard of a wood auction either, though occasionally farm auctions will include lumber the farmer had cut and put aside some years prior. My dad bought a bunch of walnut that way some years back.

And presumably wood also occasionally goes up for auction occasionally when cabinet shops and the like go out of business and get liquidated via auction.

I love walnut too. Bought some 4/4 for a table top and when I got it home noticed that I had two boards that looked like they were sequential cuts. Just glued them up to try to book match them. Only problem is that all the other boards are straight grained and don't look great next to either one.d540a07f6c095b7b4a4b2268be952ea5_zpsac2e

Great looking boards. Put them aside and someday the right project will come along

• Like 1